May 5, 2005 2:32 PM PDT

Cablevision: We're not afraid of Verizon's fiber

The broadband war between cable operators and phone companies is heating up as Verizon Communications adds more communities to its Fios fiber network, but local cable companies say they aren't worried yet.

On Thursday, Verizon announced it was expanding its Fios service to 10 new communities on Long Island, New York. The new service will compete head-to-head with existing services from cable operator Cablevision.

During a conference call with analysts and investors on Thursday, Tom Rutledge, chief operating officer of Cablevision, responded to Verizon's announcement by saying he is not worried about Verizon's latest push into the company's region.

"The impact has been almost completely insignificant," he said. "It makes you wonder why that kind of capital is being spent."

In one community where Verizon ran two direct-mail campaigns and full-page newspaper advertisements, Rutledge said, only 46 customers out of 9,272 homes had signed up for Fios. And of those 46 homes, 20 of them also had Cablevision's high-speed data service.

Despite Cablevision's claims, Verizon said that the cable company is speaking out of both sides of its mouth.

"Clearly they are worried because we are entering the market with a better and more cost-competitive service," said Mark Marchand, a spokesman for Verizon. "Otherwise, why would they be fighting us in the regulatory arena, filing documents demanding that we stop our fiber build?"

Verizon is building the all-fiber network to 39 communities on Long Island, including the 10 new ones announced Thursday. And the carrier is already offering the Fios service in six of the 39.

The new network promises to boost data-transmission rates to as high as 30mbps, a huge increase over the 1.5mbps to 3mbps offered by DSL (digital subscriber line) service today. It also will offer voice and video over the same network. The company has developed a tiered pricing model that includes a plan to offer 15mbps service for $44.95 per month.

Cablevision currently offers a 10mbps high-speed data service for either $44.95 or $49.95, depending on the package.

Verizon is spending billions of dollars building Fios. But some analysts say the company has no choice but to invest in a new network. Unlike the cable networks, which were upgraded a few years ago, Verizon's and the other phone companies' DSL networks are limited in terms of capacity.

Because of these earlier upgrades, cable companies have been able to add new services, such as telephony and high-speed data, to their existing TV service to offer customers a "triple play" of services. Verizon has already offered telephony and data services, but plans to use Fios to add television service.

While Fios provides a huge improvement over Verizon's existing DSL network, Cablevision and other cable operators around the country likely will be able to boost capacity on their networks to match whatever speeds Verizon offers.

"If we had to go head-to-head with them in terms of speed, we could," Rutledge said.

Verizon's city-by-city push to deploy Fios will likely help put the broadband fight on a level playing field, but analysts say that it will be a long time before consumers see the benefits of a price war.

"For one thing, no one really needs that kind of bandwidth right now," said Alan Bezoza, an analyst with Friedman, Billings, Ramsey. "The other thing is that Verizon is rolling out this service very slowly. Cable has already been aggressive in getting its services out there, and it can ratchet up speeds whenever it needs to meet needs of customers."

CNET News.com's Ben Charny contributed to this report.

I need speed
So the bozo Bezoza, (another anal-yst) thinks no one needs the speed. Well just because he types anal reports, doesnt mean that engineering geeks cant handle 5 tasks at a time.
And the cable guys claim that we could increase speed if we had to. Uh, that means without Verizon competition cable would still be at 1Mb speed.
I need speed
FIOS Vs Cablevision
It's a long time since you had any comment on the above subject, particularly comments from other subscribers as to which service is better. I know PC magazine is quoted but what would your actual listeners comment that have switched to FIOS, which I am considering for tv, computer and cell phone.
Posted by redrelf (3 comments )
cable guy Sam
Im tired of cablevison. Everytime the New York Knicks lose, my cable bill goes up. If you have all 3 services with TimeWarner including HBO,SHO, the on demand is included. With Cablevision triple play with HBO,SHO, the on demand is an extra $4.95. Time Warner in the late 80's did a broadcast test in Queens and 150 channels of cable tv service was a start. This was only a test. Time Warner then kept in touch with this new Broadband and today it's Showtime. Now with Fios. I know for many Verizon customers who had no phone service in the past. Let say your cable is out of service. If you call Verizon on monday, will he come out on Tuesday? I had a phone problem and i called Thursday,Verizon said you have to wait Monday. I said Why? don't you have a cell phone replied customer service. No i don't, well monday came and Verizon never showed. I waited all day. Technicians came the next day at 3pm. So who has better customer service? and why is Fios jacking up the fee's on the DVR. If you Fios cable goes out good luck. Bye the way, I hope you have a power source because in order for Fios to work, a tech has to install a power supply in order for the Fiber to work. A battery pack will be installed as well. I wsih I had Timewarner as my provider but I'm stuck with CableVision. Fios is not in my area and I refuse to pay $29.99 for 3 month with Fios and then your next bill will go to the roof. If you are a TimeWarner customer and not happy or having problems call customer service and talk to a supervisor. If you are getting Fios ask alot of questions and make sure all the cable channels are working before the Verizon tech leaves. Remember 800 channel's and nothing good to watch on tv. ok maybe sports and news. Happy surfing.
Posted by storytellernysp (2 comments )
FIOS Vs Cablevision
Posted by redrelf (3 comments )
cable guy Sam
Posted by storytellernysp (2 comments )