February 25, 2005 5:03 PM PST

Bank of America loses a million customer records

A "small" number of backup tapes with records detailing the financial information of government employees were lost in shipment to a backup center, Bank of America said on Friday.

The tapes contained information on the customers and accounts of the U.S. government's SmartPay charge card program, which has more than 2.1 million members and annual transactions totaling more than $21 billion, according to the General Services Administration. Reports have pegged the number of cards affected at 1.2 million.

"Federal law enforcement officials were immediately engaged when the tapes were discovered missing, and subsequently conducted a thorough investigation into the matter, working closely with Bank of America," the bank said in a statement. "The investigation to date has found no evidence to suggest the tapes or their content have been accessed or misused, and the tapes are now presumed lost."

The acknowledgment comes as several other cases of businesses losing consumer information have come to light. Last week, data collection company ChoicePoint announced that it had given information on approximately 150,000 subscribers to about 50 fake business fronts created by fraudsters.

This week, payroll processor PayMaxx acknowledged that a flaw had left some of its customers' W-2 forms accessible to the Internet. And cell phone service provider T-Mobile has dealt with ongoing security problems that have led to the publication of celebrity Paris Hilton's personal information and the phone numbers of many Hollywood stars.

The loss of the SmartPay information could hurt Bank of America's chances to renew its contract with the government, said Mark Amtower, a partner at Amtower, which advises businesses looking to market to the federal government.

"This is extraordinarily valuable information," he said. "It will definitely hurt (Bank of America) in the recompete."

Bank of America said it will continue to monitor the accounts on the data tapes and will contact the government cardholders if any unusual activity is observed.

How did this come to light?
Why would BofA announce this to the public when they know it would just set off fireworks? How did CNet find out about this? Why would the FBI talk publicly about something so private? How can BofA just "lose" media (hello off-site storage)?

Too many unanswered questions in this story. As someone who's been with BofA for over 10 years, I'm honestly not too worried -- I'm more interested in knowing how exactly the media came to hear about this...
Posted by katamari (310 comments )
Well
if they (BofA and/or the Feds or Federal Reserve Bank regulators) notified the 2.1 million members about the possible loss of information, it wouldnt take long to get to the media ears. I am with a relatively small Credit Union and they lost about 100 card ATM card numbers and promptly notified the members.
Posted by Buzz_Friendly (74 comments )
life on mars
The article about life on Mars vaguely implies that high forms of life may have been on Mars at some point and have dissappeared due to environmental change, namely driving off ozone with water vapor thus making the atmosphere inhospitable. Further implication might be that the same thing could happen on earth.
Posted by gpetz (1 comment )
Apparently there's still life on Mars
Because you seem to be from there. The story is about Bank of America failed to properly encrypt backup tapes. Yes, if there was no ozone layer on Earth it would look like Mars - whooptidoo. If humanity ruins the environment, ahem, the environment would be ruined.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
Encryption???????
How could anyone get this data in less than 100 years if it was encrypted. Don't tell me it wasn't! I encrypt my backups using Retrospect Backup and if someone steals my tapes they can't get at them. At least, since it's the feds who got compromised they'll do something about it.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
re: Encryption???????
You are right on the money Sanen. This is the first thing I thought of -- no data encryption on the backups? What kind of fools are they? How much is the CTO's annual pay. I think I should apply for the job. Do they have a Chief Privacy Officer (CPO)? How much is he paid? He must be spending too much time on the golf course attending those vendor seminars. Guess he skipped the one on protecting your customer's privacy.
Posted by Stating (869 comments )
everyone knows...
...bank of america is just a huge illuminai front. look at them
and the BCCI scandal.
obviously you don't know
Bank of America didn't have anything to do with BCCI that's First American bank. Bank of America was only in California in 1985-1992 It didn't become national until 1998. Second yes the tapes were encrypted and they were lost by the shipper.
Thirdly it was told to the media so that the information could get out faster. If you have everyone looking you have a better chance of finding as well as making everyone more aware of the situation. Do you people always look for people to be cheating you. Not everyone is like that.
Posted by BMac71 (1 comment )
Bank of America
Bank of America can go to h***! I've deposited a check, in which I didn't know it was fraudulent, and they deposited the check into my account. Then, in less than 24 hours, my account was closed with no warning and the bank had threatened to make sure that I don't get an account at any other finanical institution for 5 years. Now they're trying to hold me responsible for a check I had no idea was fraudulent, they're suppose to be the experts. They wouldn't even work with me to help me out any kind of way. In my honest opinion, that is NOT a good bank to deal with. So if anybody deals with Bank of America, don't let them get over on you!
Posted by Madashell2 (6 comments )
BOA is a crappy banking institution. I've had my bank card stolen and BOA was allowing whoever to deposit money(acctually bad checks into my account in front of the cameras in the bank. When they called me to tell me they were closing my account because of fraud, I ask to see the pictures from the camera so they could see it was not me doing this . They told me they didn,t do that for just anyone. so they closed my account and kept my social secruity check for that month and made it so i couldn't get another account with any bank.
Posted by 27AWEsam27 (1 comment )
Bank of America
Posted by Madashell2 (6 comments )
Fraud Check to Bank of America
Dear Derek Hailey

I also deposited a Check that later was found not to be official. The people in the Bank took the Check, Deposited the Check, and the Receiving Bank Paid on it. The Check was for services rendared and who would have known the check from the sending Company was no good ! Apparently the sending Company had someone inside attempting to scam money from them and used me and probably you as tools... I also got a Letter dated March 30th 2006 that said they closed my account, etc etc. I don't see any reason for this action due to Bank of America and the Sun Bank both paid on a check made out to me, so as experts they blew it ! I did however find the sending Company and I contacted Sun Bank so that the funds were replaced and sent to the right owner. So for being an Honest person I too got that letter of " We blew it but your gonna Pay" ........
I would like to begin a Class Action suit against the Bank if anyone has had this happen to them please write back so I can contact you. I know because of the Banks unprofessional actions this should be easy and the damage now facing me will run into the Millions.
Rob
Posted by boboman55 (5 comments )
Bank of America ???????????
The same thing happened to me only the check I deposited was honored by Bank of America and The sending Bank. I had the Cash in My account....
Then because I could not get the correct information from the Creditor I contacted the Company who sent the check. They told me about the Fraud and almost fell on the floor when I told them the Money was in my account. So, I also got a Letter from the Bank of America although everyone paid me as if the check was real. I was doing business as usual and depositing checks is part of what I do to help Billing Companies.
I would like to begin a class action anyone wanting to join write here....
Posted by boboman55 (5 comments )
Let's all wirte to News Channels and Radio
This mess with the Bank of America is going too far. Everyone got the Letter that threatens, not being able to have another Bank Account for Five years, should write a Letter Copy it and start sending Copies to NBC, ABC, CBS, Msn, and every Radio Station you can get an address for.
There are people doing bad things and there's people suffering for the Banks Mistakes...
If anyone, as far as I know at this time, knew a check was no good no one would have taken the checks to the bank in the first place...They Loose everyone's I.D.'s and Millions in other peoples money but because they couldn't figure a check was Fake they're taking it out on the Persons who rely on them.......That's Absurd !
Posted by boboman55 (5 comments )
Let's all write to News Channels and Radio
Posted by boboman55 (5 comments )
Bank of America
Posted by Madashell2 (6 comments )
Bank of America
Posted by Madashell2 (6 comments )
Bank of America
Posted by Madashell2 (6 comments )
Bank of America
Posted by Madashell2 (6 comments )
You think that strory is bad....well listen to this
I am a single mom with two small kids. I just got back on my feet after my house burn down. During a move to a new house I somehow got my check card stolen. All of my money I had left from my tax refund, almost $800, gone. NO problem, right, because i had that wonderful Visa check card protection. Report the card stolen in a timely manner and get your money back. Well read the fine print. You get money back when you wait a week for everything to post. Three weeks for the paper work to get your money back to come.(I have yet to even see this by the way) And then another six to eight weeks for someone to make a decision about whether or not you even get your money back. Meanwhile the ever so helpful Bank of America keeps bouncing the same three electronic payment over and over again. Now my bank account is a nice round -$1687. Thanks a bunch for the sercurity that ya'll talk so much about. Next time I will just keep my money at home. At least if I get robbed I won't have to pay the robber any extra fees for screwing me over.
Posted by kathleen18dl (1 comment )
BOA
I've only just come across this article online. I'm having problsme with Bank of America and my VISA account and finally contacted the President/CEO who was absolutely useless, which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise. Has anyone had any success with having problems withBOA solved??? If so, HOW?
Posted by TikvahCo (1 comment )
Unlawful moves by Bank of America
Back in 2000 my Brother applied for a Home Loan
at Bank of America,which went through both Freddie Mac,and Fannie Mae.
In 2001 we did not make the house payment due to needing the money to go to a Funeral of our second
brother.
Bank of America stated that they would put that 1 Payment at the end of the Loan,but instead they
eliminated all the other Payments that were made
and started the Loan from the Very Begining.
My Brother would like to know if he has a Legal Leg to stand on with this situation.
Posted by Roy Petersen (1 comment )
bank of america sucks
they just lost all of my imformation, and now say i don't exsist in there database, i can't get no money out and have payroll due tomorrow, i will be changing banks as soon as possible, 1 pissed off **********
Posted by freakyoneforever (1 comment )
BANK OF AMERICA IS THE WORST!!!
BANK OF AMERICA SUCKS. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS...WHEN YOU CALL THEIR BANKING CENTER THE A-HOLES HANG UP ON YOU ON PURPOSE...THEIR MANAGERS DON'T GIVE A DARN ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS...SPREAD THE WORD, DO NOT BANK THERE...
Posted by MIATAGIRL (1 comment )
no one cares?
I personally work for bank of america & i feel like I am the only one trying to get those people fired. I have had several points where a customer was hung up on...and they were caught, and escorted out the door immediately. We are not all like that...you just have to get someone who knows what they are doing. I did actually find the corporate number directly though - ph704-386-8486
fax - 704-388-9278
Posted by julzdial (2 comments )
B of A is god awful
Oh, my god. I am an MBNA credit card customer who got unwillingly dragged over to B of A. I just tried to go online and pay a couple credit card bills and it has been hell. Their website is confusing, dysfunctional and annoying, and full of their ads. I couldn't change the assigned online ID, couldn't change the passcode they said to change first at one point, couldn't find my accounts in any organized way--one would pop up, but not the other and vice versa. Finally, I tried to call Customer Service for help. I was on hold listening to that annoying chirpy female voice repeating itself over and over and over about how easy it is to change the passcode and pushing all their services. Then I GOT CUT OFF! Hate them.
Tried again to negotiate their website. Same problems. Called again, on hold 30 minutes with same irritating chirpy voice. Finally, when I got a human, he said he couldn't help me because I wasn't the "primary account holder," who, unfortunately is currently hard at work. I told him MBNA had authorization so why didn't it transfer over with the accounts and all he could say is that B of A is "more strict"--more stupid and unhelpful maybe. As I pointed out to him, I take care of all finances in this family including using and paying our credit card bills, but that sure didn't get him to help me out.

Oh, to rub it in further, when I tried to write about my experience on their "send a message" (while in hold purgatory) it "timed out" while I was writing and cut me off, erasing my efforts. Then I decided to write snail mail to the VP who wrote to tell us of our new Online ID. But typical of B of A, there was no address on the stationary. I looked up their address on the internet, but it's probably hqs address, not where she's located. But I'm sending it there anyhow, in an envelope addressed to the CEO with his copy, and a request to forward. Doubt they'll read, doubt they care. I hate them and I've only dealt with them for two days--I pity those who have had longer dealings. I'm looking for another source of credit cards.
Posted by jmieko (1 comment )
Bank of America Horror Story
Just thought I'd relate my story to see if anyone else has been on the receiving end of B of A policy.

In 2004 I divorced my wife of 18 years. After moving to a new apartment away from my ex and 3 kids (all under 16), I opened a checking account with B of A. My wife retained the old account. About 4 months ago I opened a savings account there as well. All has been ok until recently when I received a call from a B of A collection employee to ask if I was willing to make payments to my overdue line of credit account. I told her that I have nothing to do with that account; that it was my ex-wife's account and that they should contact her for payment. She asked if I was refusing payment and I said no but that it was my wife's responsibility and she should contact her. She asked me to hold. A few minutes later she came back and said they had taken it out of my account because I refused payment. I was steaming. I am disabled and get only SSDI each month which I told them. It didn't matter a bit. They said that when the account was opened we agreed to allow them to enter any accounts to make good any loans. Because I was still the primary on the account - even though I had had nothing to do with her for two years they could take my money. This left me broke and unable to pay my bills including the monthly child care payment. So they could care less about the facts and how it would affect my, my kids, and my wife or that it was not my loan but my ex-wife's. All they cared about was their $1700. I spoke to supervisor; my spoke to 4 different people and went to the local branch but the efforts were futile. They don't care about people; it's all about money regardless of the cost to innocent people. Granted my wife is lousy with money and paying her bills on time. But I should not have been held responsible for the debt she incurred and had refused to pay. Not to mention the kids who will suffer as well. I know they have the right but could they not have been able to use some discretion? I know they're trained to ignore all possible excuses but their was a paper or electronic trail showing I had nothing to do with that account. Needless to say, I will be closing all my accounts no matter the inconvenience. I will do business with a local bank that owes it's welfare to it's depositors and knows it. In the meantime, I will write as much and as often as I can to whomever will listen to embarrass and tarnish the gleaming reputation B of A has shined for itself at the expense of its small depositors. The people responsible for this are: Heather Knott at 800-475-2025 ext. 6185 and her supervisor Natasha Little.

-Larry
Posted by lcsusa (1 comment )
18 Months BOA still has the wrong address
BOA has not been able to send my statement to the correct address for 18 months. Needless to say I started paying my bill online since no matter what I did the never received a statement. I sent a letter to the President, Dispute Department, talked to supervisors. I went for a business checking account to find out that the BOA reported a 90 late occurance. Investigation showed that it was over less then $10.00. They increased the % fee monthly, charged me for copies of my statement and kept me on hold for over an hour. I finally wrote to the Better Business Bureau today. My attny. suggested this route to have a paper trail. This started in July 2006. BOA promised to have my credit report updated/corrected by Oct.23, 2006 Still has not happened....Just thought I would share yet another story....
Posted by bluemoon1006 (3 comments )
Danger...be aware of the real bank of america!
I am a Customer of Fleet! Never had a problem with them till they got acquired by Bank of America!

The Worst Customer service I have ever seen
>>> Latest problem :
- Customer always wrong until prove the opposite.
- Even if proven right it takes months till they process the correction
- They do not value customers- no mater what you say they have to follow certain procedures so save the time explaining your problem ...conclusion they need 7 to 45 days to investigate even if you have strong evidence.
-it been about 5 months of phone calls and traveling to bank centers to solve the problem which was a bank error (and I have to prove that!!). I had similar problem with US bank and they solved it in 15 minutes
Posted by bara4000 (1 comment )
Bank of America (Dishonest Practices)
I concur with your recent posting. I previously was a customer with MBNA then they were aquired in the Summer of 2006 by Bank of America. They unjustly raised my interest rate from 7.99 percent to 21.99 percent.

I had been paying my account online and scheduled a payment through the MBNA site. I wasn't able to check the payment and contacted them. They stated to me they were having problems with the transfer and the website. I checked again to see if my payment went through and it didn't. I made the payment over the phone with them and they credited me for the call and the interest and said to me this should not count as a late payment.

This statement was a lie. I have the statements that justify what I am saying. I called them again and got a representative that said a manager needed to make the correction. Nobody ever returned my phone calls. After a month and a half and several more calls to them I have yet to have anyone contact me. I then asked for a payoff balance so I could just end this and was told by their representative the account was paid in full and was credited the amount that I overpaid.

It didn't end there I then recieved another bill by them for hundreds of dollars in interest at the 21.99% interest rate that was supposed to be adjusted two months prior. Only one person that I dealt with in this entire company was helpful and honest with me. She explained to me that several people prior had not written very good comments regarding my account.

I would like to never deal with them again or have them contact me in any way. Does anyone know how I can do this?
Posted by intellifox (1 comment )
Bank of america is the worst!!
I had the same thing happen to me! NONE of their customer service reps know a thing!! AND they are rude!! They are so un-helpful!
Posted by parabola512 (2 comments )
BANK OF WHO???
Ok so I married into a Bank of America account. Not my first choice in banking. We have moved from california to Texas and decided to close our account when all of this give aliens a credit card crud started... So we went to our local branch and closed the account after checking to verify all things had cleared . Everything had so we closed. Now I am being told a month later that I have fees from bounced transactions.. From what I was told since we closed the account at 5 pm and the transaction technically didnt clear until midnight we owe all the fees and crud. Ok now we checked the account and nothing was pending everything was in the posted area online.. The lady at the branch double checked for us and said everything was clear... So now I am to pay them another 100.00 dollars or so because they screwed up?? I HATE THEM!!!!
Posted by kelappice (1 comment )
Holding Checks to charge overdraft fees
I have had battle after battle with this bank, It doesn't matter when you call or for what reason there is always some horrible person to take the call. I have been called a liar, and even a b...
The latest item was when I deposited the tax refund into me checking account. They put a hold on it and charged me with numerous overdraft charges even though the account was not overdrawn. when I ask about it i was told that this was not their fault that I should not have wrote the checks on a bad account. Even if you took out the amount for the one check the account was not overdrawn. they cost me hundreds of dollars and I can't get them to refund it. I am sick of them.
Posted by leal2167 (2 comments )
I hate MBNA and Bank of America
I noticed recently on my bill that I had an unauthorized charge. I
then disputed the charge online and followed up w/a phone call
to customer service to confirm that the dispute had gone
through. And then, to prevent any other unauthorized
purchases, I asked them to cancel the account number and issue
me a new one.

One month later, I receive a letter in the mail asking me if I was
sure if I wanted to continue the dispute, and if so, I need to call
in or mail back the letter w/in 10 days. I called in and was told
that they would proceed with my dispute, but I also had to mail
in the letter. 2 weeks later, I call (and wait on hold for 45min)
to check on the status. I was told that they couldn't help me. I
completely freak out and demand to speak to a manager. I
speak to a manager and they tell me that they never received my
letter (conveniently), but that I could fax in a letter instead (why
didn't they tell me this in the first place???). So, I faxed in the
letter.

I also finally received a new paper statement of the bill and
noticed that the charge that I was disputing was to an online
merchant made with an account number that had "expired".
This card was supposed to be expired and I hadn't used it in
over a year. So, I immediately call MBNA (wait on hold for
another fun 30min) and demand again to speak with a manager.
I then tell him what happened, and he's all like, hmm...that's
interesting... I then ask how it is possible for someone to make
a charge on a card that was "expired." He then tells me that
even after a card is expired, merchants with previous
authorization can still bill my account 6-8months after the fact.
I then point out that it's been over a year and I never made a
purchase with this current merchant.

It's now been 2.5months since I issued the dispute. I only have
~1 more week to finish the dispute before it's too late. I
basically plan on taking them to small claims court to get my
refund. Moral of the story: MBNA/Bank of America SUCK... I will
only use American Express (the 75/year fee is totally worth the
better service) and any merchant who refuses to take American
Express will not get my business.
Posted by lucia19012 (1 comment )
disatisfied bank of america customers
They play the same games with me.Can we get a list of bank of america customers for a class action lawsuit just because of mental anguish so we dont have to prove all of our headaches were caused by these cons?
Posted by dcmeyer (1 comment )
DO NOT get Bank of America!!!
they are the worst!! they are horrible & their customer service is the worst I have ever experienced!!
Among many other horrible actions, I am still on hold right now- I have been on hold now for 31 minutes & I'm STILL waiting to talk to a rep!!!
If you have a bank of America credit card, CANCEL it! If you don't have one, DO NOT get one!! you will regret it!
Posted by parabola512 (2 comments )
you make no sense
you have got to be kidding me!!!!! if you are the primary on the loan guess what.....it is your responsibility to pay it back, not matter who ran up the charges or who used the money. so quit trying to blame the bank when you are the one who obviously has no clue about what "primary" means
Posted by bkpkrp (3 comments )
u make no sense goes to bluemoon1006
;
Posted by bkpkrp (3 comments )
ooops again it is icsusa
;
Posted by bkpkrp (3 comments )
Bank of America Boycott
Boycott Bank of America for giving credit cards to illegal aliens without Social Sec. numbers.

The man organizing it, William Gheen is at <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.alipac.us" target="_newWindow">http://www.alipac.us</a>

Join the boycott!!!!

The Bank of America boycott website is at

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.bankofamericaboycott.com" target="_newWindow">http://www.bankofamericaboycott.com</a>
Posted by Cheshire__Cat (1 comment )
Bank of Aliens
Bank of America is giving credit cards to illegal aliens with no credit history and no Social Security number. Close your account and join the boycott. Visit the site and learn about banks that are not doing business with illegal aliens. Don?t be the last American with money in that bank.

The boycott website is set up at

The man organizing the boycott is William Gheen and his website is at <a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.alipac.us" target="_newWindow">http://www.alipac.us</a>

JOIN THE BOYCOTT !
Posted by KheshireKat (3 comments )
Boycott Bank of America

The boycott website is set up at

JOIN THE BOYCOTT !
Posted by KheshireKat (3 comments )