February 18, 2005 5:12 PM PST

Archos hits 100GB for portable video player

Related Stories

Archos queues up video player

July 1, 2004
After adding digital-video recording capabilities to its hard-drive-based line of portable media players, Archos is turning up the volume on the capacity of its devices to 100GB.

The company announced on Friday its Pocket Video Recorder AV4100, as well as $50 price cuts to other devices in its AV400 series. The AV4100 will cost $800 and will be available in retail stores by the end of February. The 20GB AV420 now costs $500, and the 80GB AV480 costs $750.

The AV4100 joins a growing list of hard drive-based portable devices that can play back music and video and display images.

The devices can play back MP3, WMA or WAV files. Consumers will be able to schedule shows to be recorded by picking a time and channel or by synchronizing online with Yahoo TV Guide to get a lineup of shows to choose from. The device also displays digital images.

The AV4100 will come with a cradle that connects to a video source, such as a television or set-top box, over a USB 2.0 cable. It will have an external speaker and built-in CompactFlash reader for transferring files directly to the device. The AV4100 comes with a 100GB 2.5-inch hard drive and a 3.8-inch color screen.

2.5 Hard drive?
Is this same hard drive put into notebooks?
Posted by Willy Wonker (73 comments )
it is....
Read this.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1202946,00.asp" target="_newWindow">http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1202946,00.asp</a>

I had the same issue with mine, except it locked up a lot. Archos tried to blame me. funny, when I look back. i took it back to the reatiler when I couldn't get the issue fixed.
Posted by owenowen3 (17 comments )
Archos
I've had nothing but problems with 2 of my Archos problems. I had a guy E-Mail me from ArchosSucks.com with some firmware for my vid player that takes away some of the lockup issues, but it still persists.

I'm done with them. I river is next. Hope they are better.
Posted by owenowen3 (17 comments )
HD or solid state?
I think it's strange to see more &#38; more development of PORTABLE devices, based on HD storage. I heard Apple is closing on a solid state storage for an iPod &#38; I can't wait.

Of course, what you gain in battery life, you lose in capacity - except if the device allows REMOVABLE media cards. Then that evens it up with HD's.
really...
me thinks you missed the point of HD based players... if you wan't solid state buy a flash player
Posted by d2r4 (21 comments )
100 TERABYTE 3.5 in Optical Disk
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://colossalstorage.net" target="_newWindow">http://colossalstorage.net</a>
Posted by grey_eminence (153 comments )
Seems Pricey. Here's A Better Solution.
Get yourself a laptop that is on sale, with a decent size hard drive and DVD. Add a USB TV tuner card. For about the same money as the Archeros you will have a portable multimedia device that not only records TV, plays DVDs and music, and displays your digital photos but also gives you wireless, email, games, and can run your spreadsheets. A much better value for the same price, and it is expandable/upgradeable.

Keith
www.techcando.com
Posted by Stating (869 comments )