October 12, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

Apple unveils video iPod, new iMac

SAN JOSE, Calif.--Apple Computer on Wednesday unveiled its long-rumored video iPod, as well as a new iMac and an updated version of iTunes that lets users buy music videos, TV shows and movies.

The iPod has "been a huge hit for us, so it's time to replace it," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said as he showed off the new video-capable MP3 player at an event here. "Yes, it does video."

The music players, which come in black or white with a 2.5-inch screen, will be available in a 30GB model for $299 and a 60GB version for $399. The new devices hold up to 15,000 songs, 25,000 photos or more than 150 hours of video, Apple said.

Apple products

Jobs kicked off the event by revealing a new iMac G5 desktop computer that will be similar to the current model but thinner. The 17-inch 1.9GHz goes for $1,299; the 20-inch 2.1GHz model is $1,699. The iMacs will come with a built-in, Webcam-style iSight camera with still and video capabilities, and a new Apple remote that lets consumers control music, photos and video from 30 feet away.

At the gathering, Jobs used the tiny white remote control like an oversize iPod Shuffle to play a Black Eyed Peas video and an "Incredibles" DVD and also to play home movies and photos.

The new lineup of features for iMac and iPod finally point the company more directly at the living-room space that Microsoft has attempted to carve out with its Media Center edition of Windows. Jobs introduced the iMac's new remote control and multimedia functions, called Front Row, saying they would enable people to experience music, video and photos "from the sofa."

However, the differences between the two platforms remain striking. Media Center PCs plug directly into a television or a television input device such as a cable TV box, allowing the devices to record television shows much like a TiVo digital video recorder, for example.

FAQ
Some details behind Apple's announcement
Following the announcement of new iMacs and a video-capable iPod, CNET News.com responds to some questions.

Many of today's Macs (and the new iPod) have a TV-out connection, but not a TV-in connection. Jobs highlighted only the ability to watch video on the iMac and iPod, without mentioning watching the programming on a television.

Indeed, for now, the video highlighted by Jobs is best suited for small screens, although Apple's software enhances the quality significantly for watching on a large screen. The 320-by-240 resolution can be expanded for a full-screen LCD (liquid-crystal display) TV or computer monitor, but will not have the quality of a DVD.

The cost of content
Then there's cost. With the new version of iTunes, unveiled five weeks after the debut of iTunes 5, consumers can buy non-burnable music videos for $1.99.

Tim Deal, an analyst with Technology Business Research, said he's unsure how consumers will take to the per-video cost.

"While I can appreciate the cool factor of portable video content, the price is a little difficult to digest," he said. "I think consumers are accustomed to seeing music videos for free from services such as Yahoo Launch and Comcast On Demand. Apple should give the videos away and charge for exclusive content only.

Related video
Steve Jobs shows off iPod with video
Jobs unveils latest iMac
Video comes to iTunes

"This will, however," Deal added, "be a real boon for video podcasting and provides another distribution channel for independent content."

In addition to music videos, consumers will be able to purchase TV shows one day after their initial broadcast. Offerings will include ABC television's "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives" and the Disney Channel's "That's So Raven." It will take 10 to 20 minutes to download an episode, Jobs said. Each will cost $1.99 and will be ad-free.

Disney Chief Executive Officer Robert Iger took the stage with Jobs to introduce the sales of Disney- and ABC-owned TV shows through iTunes.

"We believe this is a breakthrough," Iger said. "This provides a

CONTINUED:
Page 1 | 2

new ipod
i hope there will be a software update for the current 60GB to allow it to "see" video
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
Yep
iTunes 6.0 will allow you to copy videos.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
not likely
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the old ipods to play video
because it's not gonna happen.
Posted by superd23 (8 comments )
new ipod
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
Yep
iTunes 6.0 will allow you to copy videos.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
not likely
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the old ipods to play video
because it's not gonna happen.
Posted by superd23 (8 comments )
Apple strikes again!
WOW! I was just looking at the specs for the new iMac and I have to say that this is totally a Windows Media Center killer!!! It's amazing that Apple doesn't have a bigger user base. Maybe this will change things. Also the new iPod is really cool. I own a PSP and wish the thing had a video out. But I can still play the few games for it. I think I might have to get me a new video iPOD.
Posted by ZP (19 comments )
PVR app. included??
Yeah, with a 30 foot viewing distance this is partially aimed at the
living room.

What I'd like to have Apple include is a Tivo like application "iPVR"
for instance that would schedule and record TV. Better yet, have it
encode it for iPod playback, additionally.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Wait for the price drop
Comparing the Apple to a Media Center is fine, but the Apple is still WAY more expensive than Tivo.

I paid $200 for my 81 hour TIVO that also plays my MP3s through my stereo and displays my photos on my HDTV. I can transfer recorded video to my laptop or other home computers, burn to DVD and schedule recordings on my TIVO from a web site.

$200 vs $1200??
Posted by ejcrist (9 comments )
Apple strikes again!
Posted by ZP (19 comments )
PVR app. included??
Yeah, with a 30 foot viewing distance this is partially aimed at the
living room.

What I'd like to have Apple include is a Tivo like application "iPVR"
for instance that would schedule and record TV. Better yet, have it
encode it for iPod playback, additionally.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Wait for the price drop

$200 vs $1200??
Posted by ejcrist (9 comments )
Just Ordered Mine!
The 60gig jump is a nice touch...I never thought I would ever fill my 20gig, but it only took a few months. This will be a nice upgrade. (Also, did you see the new multimedia dock w/ remote! That is gonna be the edge over the comp.)
Just Ordered Mine!
video format
I'm assuming some type of protected quicktime here or something? Can one encode their own videos on it? So many questions and of course so little information. The biggest thing I hate about press releases in tech.
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
Some info
The videos available through itunes will be protected (non burnable), but can be copied to upto (I believe) 5 other computers and unlimited ipods. As for adding your own media, you can use any number of software programs to convert video to MPG4 (most cell phones are already using this format, and there are already collectives of video out there).
I assume it's MPEG-4
It's got to be MPEG-4 for the codec.

Good question though about the DRM technology and encoding
you own video. I definitely want to put my OWN video projects on
it!
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Video Format
The format used in the new iPod is H.264, which is extremely high quality with very small file size. It is supported in QuickTime version 7.
Posted by stevenwbuehler (4 comments )
From iPod tech specs on Apple website...
The new iPod supports the following video formats:

* H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.

* MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.
QT 7 Pro
To encode your own movies to H264 (or other codecs), all you need
is QT7 pro. the upgrade is $30. Pretty cheap for such great
software.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/" target="_newWindow">http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/</a>
AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=D3380Z%
2FA
video format
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
Some info
I assume it's MPEG-4
It's got to be MPEG-4 for the codec.

Good question though about the DRM technology and encoding
you own video. I definitely want to put my OWN video projects on
it!
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Video Format
Posted by stevenwbuehler (4 comments )
From iPod tech specs on Apple website...
The new iPod supports the following video formats:

QT 7 Pro
To encode your own movies to H264 (or other codecs), all you need
is QT7 pro. the upgrade is $30. Pretty cheap for such great
software.
AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=D3380Z%
2FA
what kind of remote?
Is it a bluetooth remote (given that bluetooth is built in)? The pictures I've seen give me the impression it is infrared; that would be too bad,
I think, since that means you have to be pretty much line of sight for it, right?
Posted by lwvirden (83 comments )
what kind of remote?
Posted by lwvirden (83 comments )
I'm going to sell my current iPod for the new one!
I gotta have it! Even if it's teeny.
I'd love to be able to pull it out if my pocket and show people my
video projects, just to give them a flavor of the project.

Definite cool factor.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
I'm going to sell my current iPod for the new one!
I gotta have it! Even if it's teeny.
I'd love to be able to pull it out if my pocket and show people my
video projects, just to give them a flavor of the project.

Definite cool factor.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since steve jobs loves to F over older mac users.

(macs only started shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)
Posted by Don Key (186 comments )
Yeah, legacy support would be nice...
But that would mean an increase in size for the iPod.

I'm sure they didn't make the decision lightly - it basically concedes defeat for Firewire.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
bend over for Jobs
No kidding. I have a 3-year-old Mac. It's a notebook so I can't just slap a PCI USB 2.0 card in there. I guess Jobs expects me to go buy a new Mac with the iPod. That, or I could wait several hours for music to download over the USB 1.1 connection. Instead, I just won't be buying this new iPod.
Posted by chris_d (195 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
You're kidding, right? I have 3 iPods (all using FireWire for
lightning fast uploads), a G5 1.8Ghz and a new iBook G4...
wouldn't trade 'em "up" for anything - plus a Bronze
keyboard PB and a vintage Performa 6400/200 all still in
working order.

AND I am an older mac user myself. Must be I like the way
Jobs has been F ing me over all these years!

Seriously -- if you take good care of the Macs you've got,
they'll take good care of you. So don't get all in a twist over
these new babies and the changes.
Doesn't fly...
&gt;&gt;with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since
steve &gt;&gt;jobs loves to F over older mac users. (macs only started
&gt;&gt;shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)

Funny that you say that. Mac users have the slowest upgrade
cycle among PC users for exactly the opposite reason. Why is
that, pray tell? Perhaps because their macs remain exceptionally
functional even into late life?? I have an original TiBook
500mhz. Aside from the slow processor, it's still basically
cutting edge. Wifi, large screen, USB, Firewire, DVD...

Your argument doesn't fly unless you really believe that the
lawsuit brought against apple that it would support ancient
legacy systems is a true indicator of it's malicious nature. Apple
is great at keeping old computers running like new. Sometimes
it just messes up. (great men will inevitably be plagued by great
mistakes)
no firewire support on video ipod

(macs only started shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)
Posted by Don Key (186 comments )
Yeah, legacy support would be nice...
But that would mean an increase in size for the iPod.

Posted by M C (598 comments )
bend over for Jobs
Posted by chris_d (195 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
You're kidding, right? I have 3 iPods (all using FireWire for
lightning fast uploads), a G5 1.8Ghz and a new iBook G4...
wouldn't trade 'em "up" for anything - plus a Bronze
keyboard PB and a vintage Performa 6400/200 all still in
working order.

AND I am an older mac user myself. Must be I like the way
Jobs has been F ing me over all these years!

Seriously -- if you take good care of the Macs you've got,
they'll take good care of you. So don't get all in a twist over
these new babies and the changes.
Doesn't fly...
&gt;&gt;with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since
steve &gt;&gt;jobs loves to F over older mac users. (macs only started
&gt;&gt;shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)

Funny that you say that. Mac users have the slowest upgrade
cycle among PC users for exactly the opposite reason. Why is
that, pray tell? Perhaps because their macs remain exceptionally
functional even into late life?? I have an original TiBook
500mhz. Aside from the slow processor, it's still basically
cutting edge. Wifi, large screen, USB, Firewire, DVD...

Your argument doesn't fly unless you really believe that the
lawsuit brought against apple that it would support ancient
legacy systems is a true indicator of it's malicious nature. Apple
is great at keeping old computers running like new. Sometimes
it just messes up. (great men will inevitably be plagued by great
mistakes)
Cnet LOVES rumors, so why no speculation on Pixar-Disney reunion?
I mean, it should be an obvious topic that could keep a reporter (who might otherwise be saddled with the task of finding actual news) busy for days!
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Because there is no way...
... that Pixar would make a damn fool move like that.....

And even the dumbest reporter could figure that out by lunchtime.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Cnet LOVES rumors, so why no speculation on Pixar-Disney reunion?
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Because there is no way...
... that Pixar would make a damn fool move like that.....

And even the dumbest reporter could figure that out by lunchtime.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
I doubt they'll play on your 4G, but you can store them...
...in hard disk mode.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Sorry-meant to be a reply to
nm
Posted by M C (598 comments )
I doubt they'll play on your 4G, but you can store them...
...in hard disk mode.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Sorry-meant to be a reply to
nm
Posted by M C (598 comments )
And one mor thing....
The Emac is gone from the Apple Store web site.
Posted by winmanjr (11 comments )
Education only
Only education channels get it now, from what I understand.
Posted by jasonemanuelson1 (82 comments )
And one mor thing....
The Emac is gone from the Apple Store web site.
Posted by winmanjr (11 comments )
Education only
Only education channels get it now, from what I understand.
Posted by jasonemanuelson1 (82 comments )
battery life?
I wonder what the battery life on the new Ipod is like. The video capability and the larger screen would consume a lot of power, and what interests me is how long the Ipod would work between charges. Because, even the current Ipod isn't known for it's battery life.
__________________________________
R.K.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com/" target="_newWindow">http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com/</a>
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
No improvement in battery life.
30GB: Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback
60GB: Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3 hours of video playback
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
battery life?
__________________________________
R.K.
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
No improvement in battery life.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
For the love of God
shut up. It's a computer. It's meant to be improved upon and left in the dust. Either keep up with technology or don't. Don't complain about it.
For the love of God
Divx/Xvid Support
The first thing I thought of when I read this is, will it be able to play non-drm'd mpg4 files. Like many others, my computer has a pvr and i encode my favorite shows into xvid. I downloaded itunes6 and tried to import my favorite xvids and it did not add it to my video library. My mpgs did however load and play properly.....

If they dont support peoples favorite format (like they did mp3 with the original ipod) how can this take off?
Posted by Favic (5 comments )
Convert?
Did you convert any of your vids to mp4?
Three words: Creative Zen Vision
Creative Labs already has it: it's called the Zen Vision, it has a 3.7'' screen, supports MPEG-4/DivX/Xvid AND supports video at 640x480 resolution.
But you can settle for LESS and buy the iPod. It's really up to you. ;-)
Posted by aemarques (162 comments )