October 12, 2005 10:12 AM PDT

Apple unveils video iPod, new iMac

(continued from previous page)

great opportunity for consumers to stay connected to their favorite programs."

Six short films from Pixar Animation Studios also will be available for $1.99 each.

Apple last week sent invitations that included the words "One more thing..." Wednesday's announcements took place at the California Theatre, where Apple introduced the U2 iPod and the first color-screen iPod Photo last year.

The video iPod arrives just one month after Apple unveiled its pencil-thin iPod Nano. Company executives said Tuesday that demand for the Nano is strongly outstripping Apple's ability to supply the flash-memory-based music players.

Still a music machine
While highlighting the new iPod's video features, Jobs appeared careful to stress several times that it was still fundamentally a music-playing device, with video features added as a "bonus."

The careful language may have been aimed at avoiding a repeat of the introduction of the Photo edition of the iPod, which was not initially a top seller despite the addition of the color screen and photo features.

However, Jobs did show a new iPod ad, focused wholly on the new video features, with the tagline "Watch your music."

Sam Bhavnani, an analyst at Current Analysis, noted that the appeal of video is more limited than music. "You can't use it when running. You can't use it while working. You can't use it while driving," he said. However, downloading a TV show to use on an airplane flight, for example, will appeal to some consumers.

Apple "did a small step," Bhavnani said. "It doesn't take Einstein to know the next step is more shows. Maybe ultimately you get to where the next 'Toy Story' is going to be downloaded through iTunes."

Apple's video device isn't the first to hit the market. Studios currently market a handheld computer in Japan called the Type U that can be used to watch videos. Consumers can also watch movies (with a tiny Universal Media Disc) on the PlayStation Portable.

Intel and Microsoft designed a portable media player in 2002 that some manufacturers brought to market last year. (First it was known as Media2Go and later as the Portable Media Center.) In addition, Samsung and others have released phones that can receive TV signals, thereby allowing commuters to watch shows on their cell phones.

So far, though, portable video hasn't been a big seller. The screens on these devices are far smaller than those on TVs. Video also can sap battery life. Watching TV over cellular signals, some Korean consumers have found out, can rack up high bills. (New versions of the cell-phone televisions use a TV tuner card, rather than deliver TV over the cellular network.)

Sony executives, though, recently said sales of Universal Media Disc movies for the PSP are a little better than expected.

CNET News.com's Michael Kanellos contributed to this report.

Previous page
Page 1 | 2

new ipod
i hope there will be a software update for the current 60GB to allow it to "see" video
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
Yep
iTunes 6.0 will allow you to copy videos.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
not likely
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the old ipods to play video
because it's not gonna happen.
Posted by superd23 (8 comments )
new ipod
Posted by kaotica (10 comments )
Yep
iTunes 6.0 will allow you to copy videos.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
not likely
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the old ipods to play video
because it's not gonna happen.
Posted by superd23 (8 comments )
Apple strikes again!
WOW! I was just looking at the specs for the new iMac and I have to say that this is totally a Windows Media Center killer!!! It's amazing that Apple doesn't have a bigger user base. Maybe this will change things. Also the new iPod is really cool. I own a PSP and wish the thing had a video out. But I can still play the few games for it. I think I might have to get me a new video iPOD.
Posted by ZP (19 comments )
PVR app. included??
Yeah, with a 30 foot viewing distance this is partially aimed at the
living room.

What I'd like to have Apple include is a Tivo like application "iPVR"
for instance that would schedule and record TV. Better yet, have it
encode it for iPod playback, additionally.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Wait for the price drop
Comparing the Apple to a Media Center is fine, but the Apple is still WAY more expensive than Tivo.

I paid $200 for my 81 hour TIVO that also plays my MP3s through my stereo and displays my photos on my HDTV. I can transfer recorded video to my laptop or other home computers, burn to DVD and schedule recordings on my TIVO from a web site.

$200 vs $1200??
Posted by ejcrist (9 comments )
Apple strikes again!
Posted by ZP (19 comments )
PVR app. included??
Yeah, with a 30 foot viewing distance this is partially aimed at the
living room.

What I'd like to have Apple include is a Tivo like application "iPVR"
for instance that would schedule and record TV. Better yet, have it
encode it for iPod playback, additionally.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Wait for the price drop

$200 vs $1200??
Posted by ejcrist (9 comments )
Just Ordered Mine!
The 60gig jump is a nice touch...I never thought I would ever fill my 20gig, but it only took a few months. This will be a nice upgrade. (Also, did you see the new multimedia dock w/ remote! That is gonna be the edge over the comp.)
Just Ordered Mine!
video format
I'm assuming some type of protected quicktime here or something? Can one encode their own videos on it? So many questions and of course so little information. The biggest thing I hate about press releases in tech.
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
Some info
The videos available through itunes will be protected (non burnable), but can be copied to upto (I believe) 5 other computers and unlimited ipods. As for adding your own media, you can use any number of software programs to convert video to MPG4 (most cell phones are already using this format, and there are already collectives of video out there).
I assume it's MPEG-4
It's got to be MPEG-4 for the codec.

Good question though about the DRM technology and encoding
you own video. I definitely want to put my OWN video projects on
it!
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Video Format
The format used in the new iPod is H.264, which is extremely high quality with very small file size. It is supported in QuickTime version 7.
Posted by stevenwbuehler (4 comments )
From iPod tech specs on Apple website...
The new iPod supports the following video formats:

* H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.

* MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats.
QT 7 Pro
To encode your own movies to H264 (or other codecs), all you need
is QT7 pro. the upgrade is $30. Pretty cheap for such great
software.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/" target="_newWindow">http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/</a>
AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=D3380Z%
2FA
video format
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
Some info
I assume it's MPEG-4
It's got to be MPEG-4 for the codec.

Good question though about the DRM technology and encoding
you own video. I definitely want to put my OWN video projects on
it!
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Video Format
Posted by stevenwbuehler (4 comments )
From iPod tech specs on Apple website...
The new iPod supports the following video formats:

QT 7 Pro
To encode your own movies to H264 (or other codecs), all you need
is QT7 pro. the upgrade is $30. Pretty cheap for such great
software.
AppleStore.woa/wo/StoreReentry.wo?productLearnMore=D3380Z%
2FA
what kind of remote?
Is it a bluetooth remote (given that bluetooth is built in)? The pictures I've seen give me the impression it is infrared; that would be too bad,
I think, since that means you have to be pretty much line of sight for it, right?
Posted by lwvirden (83 comments )
what kind of remote?
Posted by lwvirden (83 comments )
I'm going to sell my current iPod for the new one!
I gotta have it! Even if it's teeny.
I'd love to be able to pull it out if my pocket and show people my
video projects, just to give them a flavor of the project.

Definite cool factor.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
I'm going to sell my current iPod for the new one!
I gotta have it! Even if it's teeny.
I'd love to be able to pull it out if my pocket and show people my
video projects, just to give them a flavor of the project.

Definite cool factor.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since steve jobs loves to F over older mac users.

(macs only started shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)
Posted by Don Key (186 comments )
Yeah, legacy support would be nice...
But that would mean an increase in size for the iPod.

I'm sure they didn't make the decision lightly - it basically concedes defeat for Firewire.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
bend over for Jobs
No kidding. I have a 3-year-old Mac. It's a notebook so I can't just slap a PCI USB 2.0 card in there. I guess Jobs expects me to go buy a new Mac with the iPod. That, or I could wait several hours for music to download over the USB 1.1 connection. Instead, I just won't be buying this new iPod.
Posted by chris_d (195 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
You're kidding, right? I have 3 iPods (all using FireWire for
lightning fast uploads), a G5 1.8Ghz and a new iBook G4...
wouldn't trade 'em "up" for anything - plus a Bronze
keyboard PB and a vintage Performa 6400/200 all still in
working order.

AND I am an older mac user myself. Must be I like the way
Jobs has been F ing me over all these years!

Seriously -- if you take good care of the Macs you've got,
they'll take good care of you. So don't get all in a twist over
these new babies and the changes.
Doesn't fly...
&gt;&gt;with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since
steve &gt;&gt;jobs loves to F over older mac users. (macs only started
&gt;&gt;shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)

Funny that you say that. Mac users have the slowest upgrade
cycle among PC users for exactly the opposite reason. Why is
that, pray tell? Perhaps because their macs remain exceptionally
functional even into late life?? I have an original TiBook
500mhz. Aside from the slow processor, it's still basically
cutting edge. Wifi, large screen, USB, Firewire, DVD...

Your argument doesn't fly unless you really believe that the
lawsuit brought against apple that it would support ancient
legacy systems is a true indicator of it's malicious nature. Apple
is great at keeping old computers running like new. Sometimes
it just messes up. (great men will inevitably be plagued by great
mistakes)
no firewire support on video ipod

(macs only started shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)
Posted by Don Key (186 comments )
Yeah, legacy support would be nice...
But that would mean an increase in size for the iPod.

Posted by M C (598 comments )
bend over for Jobs
Posted by chris_d (195 comments )
no firewire support on video ipod
You're kidding, right? I have 3 iPods (all using FireWire for
lightning fast uploads), a G5 1.8Ghz and a new iBook G4...
wouldn't trade 'em "up" for anything - plus a Bronze
keyboard PB and a vintage Performa 6400/200 all still in
working order.

AND I am an older mac user myself. Must be I like the way
Jobs has been F ing me over all these years!

Seriously -- if you take good care of the Macs you've got,
they'll take good care of you. So don't get all in a twist over
these new babies and the changes.
Doesn't fly...
&gt;&gt;with each new ipod video, you get some free lube... since
steve &gt;&gt;jobs loves to F over older mac users. (macs only started
&gt;&gt;shipping with usb 2.0 1 1/2-2 years ago)

Funny that you say that. Mac users have the slowest upgrade
cycle among PC users for exactly the opposite reason. Why is
that, pray tell? Perhaps because their macs remain exceptionally
functional even into late life?? I have an original TiBook
500mhz. Aside from the slow processor, it's still basically
cutting edge. Wifi, large screen, USB, Firewire, DVD...

Your argument doesn't fly unless you really believe that the
lawsuit brought against apple that it would support ancient
legacy systems is a true indicator of it's malicious nature. Apple
is great at keeping old computers running like new. Sometimes
it just messes up. (great men will inevitably be plagued by great
mistakes)
Cnet LOVES rumors, so why no speculation on Pixar-Disney reunion?
I mean, it should be an obvious topic that could keep a reporter (who might otherwise be saddled with the task of finding actual news) busy for days!
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Because there is no way...
... that Pixar would make a damn fool move like that.....

And even the dumbest reporter could figure that out by lunchtime.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Cnet LOVES rumors, so why no speculation on Pixar-Disney reunion?
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Because there is no way...
... that Pixar would make a damn fool move like that.....

And even the dumbest reporter could figure that out by lunchtime.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
I doubt they'll play on your 4G, but you can store them...
...in hard disk mode.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Sorry-meant to be a reply to
nm
Posted by M C (598 comments )
I doubt they'll play on your 4G, but you can store them...
...in hard disk mode.
Posted by M C (598 comments )
Sorry-meant to be a reply to
nm
Posted by M C (598 comments )
And one mor thing....
The Emac is gone from the Apple Store web site.
Posted by winmanjr (11 comments )
Education only
Only education channels get it now, from what I understand.
Posted by jasonemanuelson1 (82 comments )
And one mor thing....
The Emac is gone from the Apple Store web site.
Posted by winmanjr (11 comments )
Education only
Only education channels get it now, from what I understand.
Posted by jasonemanuelson1 (82 comments )
battery life?
I wonder what the battery life on the new Ipod is like. The video capability and the larger screen would consume a lot of power, and what interests me is how long the Ipod would work between charges. Because, even the current Ipod isn't known for it's battery life.
__________________________________
R.K.
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com/" target="_newWindow">http://www.Remove-All-Spyware.com/</a>
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
No improvement in battery life.
30GB: Up to 14 hours of music playback; up to 3 hours of slideshows with music; up to 2 hours of video playback
60GB: Up to 20 hours of music playback; up to 4 hours of slideshows with music; up to 3 hours of video playback
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
battery life?
__________________________________
R.K.
Posted by Roman12 (214 comments )
No improvement in battery life.
Posted by hemen thacker (42 comments )
For the love of God
shut up. It's a computer. It's meant to be improved upon and left in the dust. Either keep up with technology or don't. Don't complain about it.
For the love of God
Divx/Xvid Support
The first thing I thought of when I read this is, will it be able to play non-drm'd mpg4 files. Like many others, my computer has a pvr and i encode my favorite shows into xvid. I downloaded itunes6 and tried to import my favorite xvids and it did not add it to my video library. My mpgs did however load and play properly.....

If they dont support peoples favorite format (like they did mp3 with the original ipod) how can this take off?
Posted by Favic (5 comments )
Convert?
Did you convert any of your vids to mp4?
Three words: Creative Zen Vision
Creative Labs already has it: it's called the Zen Vision, it has a 3.7'' screen, supports MPEG-4/DivX/Xvid AND supports video at 640x480 resolution.
But you can settle for LESS and buy the iPod. It's really up to you. ;-)
Posted by aemarques (162 comments )