April 27, 2005 6:08 AM PDT

Apple strikes back at 'iCon Jobs' publisher

Related Stories

EFF appeals Apple fan site ruling

March 22, 2005

Mac maker has removed all of John Wiley & Sons' books from Apple store shelves ahead of the publication of a biography of its CEO.
Photo: Jobs biography said to rankle Apple

The story "Apple strikes back at 'iCon Jobs' publisher" published April 27, 2005 at 6:08 AM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from Reuters expires after 30 days.

I'm not a fan of attempted censorship....
... but on the other hand, it's a well known fact that you
don't tick off Steve Jobs without paying some kind of penalty. And
if he doesn't like his 'biography', there sure as heck is no reason to
sell it at Apple stores.

But if anything, this is just good publicity for the author and
publisher, who will now make much more money than the basic
quality of the book warrants, whatever that may be.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Apple = Facism
"And if he doesn't like his 'biography', there sure as heck is no reason to sell it at Apple stores"

I can see Jobbie-boy being PO'ed over the biography but pulling ALL Wiley titles because it ticks off Apple's Tin Horn despot?

It's time to boycott Apple! I'm selling my iPod, dropping my iTunes subscription and getting a machine that doesn't help a dictator like herr Jobs. But then, it doesn't help that Microsoft is anti-gay now. OK, I'm getting a PC and loading Linux.
Perhaps it's all in the name?
When I first heard about this book, the first thing that went to my mind was that it was an attempt at a smear campaign. "iCon" makes Mr. Jobs sound like a confidence man, which is not something the company probably wants portrayed about its crown prince.

I understand that the title is meant to be a play on the word "icon," but it's a terrible place to put a capital letter.
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
I'm not a fan of attempted censorship....
... but on the other hand, it's a well known fact that you
don't tick off Steve Jobs without paying some kind of penalty. And
if he doesn't like his 'biography', there sure as heck is no reason to
sell it at Apple stores.

But if anything, this is just good publicity for the author and
publisher, who will now make much more money than the basic
quality of the book warrants, whatever that may be.
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Apple = Facism

Perhaps it's all in the name?

Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Apple. It's own worst enemy.
That would be a good name for a book about Apple. I like Apple and would love to own a mac, but they just like shooting themselves in the foot. The funny thing is I probably wouldn't even have looked at the book, but now I will probably go and buy it.

I say good Job Mr. Steve. Instead of letting the book fall into obscurity you just promoted it with contravercy that will surely sell more copies.
Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Good Job Mr Steve!
That's another good title.

I agree. Though I've been an apple support guy since the IIci (actually since the ][e), I've begun to realize that hype doesn't sell. That draconian tactics sway me the other way. And that a grandoiuse (sp?) plan to release new models and software as a surprise must be an EGO (Superid) issue.

So Either this is a good spin at selling the book (which I might read), or the truth that Jobs & Co. is really the problem with Apple's core mission.

Which is what? Even Gateway (Getaway) has better numbers and I though the cow was sent to pasture.
Posted by Below Meigh (249 comments )
Apple. It's own worst enemy.

Posted by System Tyrant (1453 comments )
Good Job Mr Steve!
That's another good title.

Posted by Below Meigh (249 comments )
Who cares and it should have stayed that way.
Fine, people don't like Apple. People don't like Steve Jobs. But
guess what, a whole hell of a lot more do like them both. But
mostly, like the populations ability to vote, most just don't give a
damn.

During this wave of success, Apple should have taken the who
cares attitude. What bone-head thought that pulling books off
the shelf over this was a good thing, or even seen in any kind of
positive light. They had nothing to lose by not caring, and by
stepping in, just gave a whole hell of a lot of free publicity and
sales to a book they don't like.

Ahhh crap. Even our favourite companies can do the damndest,
single most stupid things. This was a pretty good one.
Posted by Thomas, David (1947 comments )
LMAO .. I forgot something
My comments, in CNET are based upon the supposed integrity of
the story, and the author. My comments stand if everything in
this story is TRUE.

Otherwise DOH!
Posted by Thomas, David (1947 comments )
It would have stayed that way ...
...were it not for the lynch mob media trying to blow this whole
non-issue out of proportion. A front page link on news.com
because a few stores pull some book? Give me a break.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Who cares and it should have stayed that way.
Fine, people don't like Apple. People don't like Steve Jobs. But
guess what, a whole hell of a lot more do like them both. But
mostly, like the populations ability to vote, most just don't give a
damn.

During this wave of success, Apple should have taken the who
cares attitude. What bone-head thought that pulling books off
the shelf over this was a good thing, or even seen in any kind of
positive light. They had nothing to lose by not caring, and by
stepping in, just gave a whole hell of a lot of free publicity and
sales to a book they don't like.

Ahhh crap. Even our favourite companies can do the damndest,
single most stupid things. This was a pretty good one.
Posted by Thomas, David (1947 comments )
LMAO .. I forgot something
My comments, in CNET are based upon the supposed integrity of
the story, and the author. My comments stand if everything in
this story is TRUE.

Otherwise DOH!
Posted by Thomas, David (1947 comments )
It would have stayed that way ...
...were it not for the lynch mob media trying to blow this whole
non-issue out of proportion. A front page link on news.com
because a few stores pull some book? Give me a break.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Jobs may have had nothing to do with this
Someone at Apple made this stupid decision, but it does not mean it was Jobs. Having worked at large corporations, the way it typically works is that the typical "executive" (as listed in the article) was probably a middle management person in charge of the Apple Stores. Apple is too big for one person, even of Jobs caliber, to make every single decision that comes out of Apple.
Jobs may have had nothing to do with this
rediculous
i could understand not selling the biography, but to drop all of the other books they sell in a blatently retaliatory move is just wrong. if you ask me, that's a bunch of 'iSH*T'
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
Beautiful Plan.
I suspect that Apple tried to reach an agreement with Wiley up
front. But Wiley execs felt it was more important to publish a
book with a slanderous title. Wiley probably hoped that Jobs
would react, so then their army of media buddies could dump
fuel on the free PR fire. Beautiful plan.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
rediculous
Posted by mortis9 (370 comments )
Beautiful Plan.
I suspect that Apple tried to reach an agreement with Wiley up
front. But Wiley execs felt it was more important to publish a
book with a slanderous title. Wiley probably hoped that Jobs
would react, so then their army of media buddies could dump
fuel on the free PR fire. Beautiful plan.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
iCon
I would not want to have a biography that used the iCon title.
That implies that he is a convict or someone trying to 'con'
people. That is a title that would apply to many more executives
than Steve Jobs. Look around. P
Posted by paulF5A (3 comments )
iCon
I would not want to have a biography that used the iCon title.
That implies that he is a convict or someone trying to 'con'
people. That is a title that would apply to many more executives
than Steve Jobs. Look around. P
Posted by paulF5A (3 comments )
Disturbing Media Lynch Mob Retaliation
So a few Apple stores won't be selling Wiley books for a while. Big deal. It's not news, so this event reflects poorly on those in the media who just got their feelings hurt.

The "authors" in the news media, ticked that a fellow author is being affected, are now trying to retaliate with stories like this.

Yeah it was dumb of Apple to yank all Wiley books from their stores. It was also dumb of Wiley to publicly label Jobs a con man. But I think this media lynch mob retaliation is much more disturbing.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Disturbing Media Lynch Mob Retaliation

Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Arrogant Mr. Jobs
Basically he keeps thinking his Apple/Mac/OS is the best in the world, and he does not allow anybody in the world to argue or think twice with that. How arrogant can that be? :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Huh?
I agree that most people have never used OS X, so they don't
understand how it's better. But I don't agree that justifies
personal attacks or public slander. For example, implying that
the CEO of two very successful companies is a con man.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Arrogant Mr. Jobs
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Huh?
I agree that most people have never used OS X, so they don't
understand how it's better. But I don't agree that justifies
personal attacks or public slander. For example, implying that
the CEO of two very successful companies is a con man.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Change That Apple Really Wanted
Maybe the real reason Apple is upset is because the publisher refused to re-title the book "iGod Steve Jobs". After all, according to some users owning a Mac and using Apple products is akin to a religious experience that brings you one step closer to.....whereas using that "other" system is like shaking hands with the you know who.
Really????
Your opinion has been porperly filed
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Change That Apple Really Wanted
Really????
Your opinion has been porperly filed
Posted by Earl Benser (4310 comments )
Leave Apple and Steve Jobs alone please
They've been through enough BS from the environmentalists, the RIAA wanting to charge more for their songs on iTunes, and now this. Can't y'all just leave the man alone. Dude doesn't want his private life to be publicized. Maybe he wants anonymity? Maybe he's shy? Who cares!?!? He obviously wants to be left alone, so stop jocking Steve Jobs so much.
Posted by Priscilla215-20485880089225750 (14 comments )
Well, that's nice, but its part of the job
Hey, buddy, I can definitely understand the whole 'why are you writing about my underwear and the coffee I drink' thing: it isn't the greatest thing in the world, even under the best of circumstances, to have your life and times made public.

But, guess what, it comes with the territory of being a well known person in the upper executive structure of a very visible publicly traded company.

If Mr. Jobs were to step down, lead a quiet life, etc. etc., then this would be a bit more objectionable. But guess what? He's at the forefront of a tech company. This is part of the job.

As the old saying goes, 'if you can't stand the heat ...' (you know the rest). As of now, Stevie hasn't [to the best of my knowledge ;)] announced any plans to step down any time soon, so, I say: a. this book is absolutely appropriate and fiting, and, b. the move on the part of Apple is rather idiotic, since it's only going to ramp up the publicity.
Leave Apple and Steve Jobs alone please
Posted by Priscilla215-20485880089225750 (14 comments )
Well, that's nice, but its part of the job

Arrogant?
The word doesn't begin to describe Captain Queeg Jobs.
One more thing, Pixar was doing quite well BEFORE Jobs came along.
Posted by mustangj36 (43 comments )
Arrogant?
The word doesn't begin to describe Captain Queeg Jobs.
One more thing, Pixar was doing quite well BEFORE Jobs came along.
Posted by mustangj36 (43 comments )