October 27, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

Apple puts out fix for MacBook shutdowns

Apple Computer has issued an update designed to address the lingering problem of unexpected shutdowns of its MacBook notebooks.

The MacBook SMC Firmware Update 1.1, released for download Thursday, tackles a problem that has plagued the notebooks for the past four months.

Apple advises people to install the software on all MacBook systems, including those that have received warranty repair.

It also said that users of Mac OS X 10.4.7 can download and install the SMC update, but all others will need to first upgrade their operating system to Mac OS X 10.4.8, the latest version.

The shutdown problem was first noted in July, a couple months after the 13-inch wide-screen MacBook debuted. Owners, frustrated by the situation, began logging complaints on a user site, Macbookrandomshutdown.com. More than 1,500 people have registered on the site since its launch in August.

Apple MacBook, Apple Computer, notebook computer, Apple Mac OS, Apple Mac OS X

And make you pay for the OS upgrade
Typical Apple but of course the Mac "just works". Come on Apple fanboys explain the superior hardware and OS. If Apple can't fix the problem without making it's users upgrade their OS every 6 months then they should reconsider their bogus ads. Before the fanboys say it, yes I have money, a computer science degree and NO I don't own a Mac.
Posted by afriendof77 (21 comments )
get your facts straight
10.4.X upgrades are free. 10.X upgrades (like Leopard, 10.5) are what cost money.
Posted by Sunflare98 (34 comments )
Check it again
To my knowledge the Macbook came with Tiger and the upgrade to
10.4.8 is free. Just update and get on with life.
Posted by woldpete (1 comment )
Yo crazy angry dude
Macbooks come with 10.4 so any necessary upgrades for this repair don't cost money. I've owned my macbook for about 6 months now and it is my first apple computer. Before it I was known to be a mac hater like you. Even with the random shutdowns I have been living with it has still been a better computing experience than any of my past Windows and Linux systems.
Posted by beaucollins (1 comment )
who said anything about paying?
afriendof77 decided to show his/her educational prowess with
the following:

"If Apple can't fix the problem without making it's users upgrade
their OS every 6 months then they should reconsider their bogus
ads. Before the fanboys say it, yes I have money, a computer
science degree and NO I don't own a Mac."

Uh, as mentioned by a few others, this upgrade is FREE.
Secondly, how was Apple supposed to fix the problem without
an upgrade? Third, I'm thrilled with updates that (typically) work
compared with the Winblows experience of "patch Tuesday" and
needing to dilligently back everything up so you can restore it
when the patch fails or causes more security issues than it was
supposed to solve. Forthly, how are the ads bogus?

You threw a lot of ignorance in that post. Sometimes it's better
to keep your mouth (keyboard) shut and let people wonder if
you're a fool ...

Where did you get your "degree" anyway? I'd say the school
failed you my friend.
Posted by Dalkorian (3000 comments )
Read the shutdown website
On the website, referenced in this article, it sounds like apple isn't all roses and sunshine like all the fanboys make it out to be. Remember these are all Mac users complaining, so explain that one in the ad. Maybe the new ad can have the mac guy just randomly disapear....Like I always say, use the computer that works for you. They are BOTH computers for craps sake. Do you think users of TI Calcs and HP calcs blow each other up about which calc is better. I am a mac user and can say that mac fanboys are the worst.
Posted by ZeroJCF (51 comments )
worst?
You haven't dealt with many Winblows fanboys, have you.

;-)
Posted by Dalkorian (3000 comments )
While it is annoying that this problem was not addressed sooner, I am quite happy to hear that a fix is available.

I personally have had the random shutdown occur twice since I got my MacBook. Considering that I purchased it back in July and have put plenty of hours on it, that isn't too bad.
Posted by ddesy (4336 comments )
And when Windows do a BlueScreen of Death once a year
you Apple freaks go ballistic.

Typical Apple Blinders on the Apple Herd.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Four Months To Fix...
>a problem that has plagued the notebooks for the past four months.<

How speedy and responsive of Apple.:-)
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Time to resolve
First month: End users see a problem and band together to complain after being ignored by the OEM.

Second month: OEM denies there is any problem and that the issue may be only happening with a 'limited number' of end users.

Third month: OEM starts working on a patch / solution while still denying the problem exists. Forums and online debates heat up. OEM is still quiet about it.

Fourth month: OEM releases a patch for a totally unrelated product / issue and quietly includes the fix for the actual problem. Problem solved and they don't have to admit to anything. There never was a problem- don't know what you're talking about.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
These prices are wrong
The standalone version of Ultimate is $450. The upgrade version will be $269. The version that most people will get - premium - is an upgrade at $179 or standalone at $269.

In comparison - the OS X 10.4 price is $129. But every sold version of OS X is, essentially, an upgrade. So the price differential isn't all that much (between premium and OS X).
Posted by rapier1 (2722 comments )
Hardware Fix
Hadn't been paying attention to problems with shut down. When
my MacBook starting shutting down, I took it to the Apple Store.
They replaced the Heatsink Kit under warranty. Seems to be
working great now.
Posted by spencer1612 (1 comment )
Apple problem? Simple Fix; Windows problem? ****
I imagine if it would be a Windows problem everybody would be paying attention. Plus everybody would be pissed even if the solution was so simple as installing a patch. But because it's Apple almost nobody seems to bother having to take it to repair and afterwards it even looks like it works better then ever before.
Posted by Ryo Hazuki (378 comments )
Confused
I thought Windows PC's were the crappy ones that restart and randomly suddenly shutdown all the time, isn't that what that Apple commercial tries to say?
Posted by Ryo Hazuki (378 comments )
All computers are subject to failure
It doesn't matter what name is on the case, all computers are prone to failure at some point or another.

How an OEM handles the correction of the issue is more interesting to me. For a PC, I can fix the problem relatively quickly with new parts and minimize downtime. With a Mac, it has to be sent to an authorized service center (usually a small store someplace) who will get to it as soon as they can. This means a few days to a few weeks of downtime.

Both PC's and Macs have their pros and cons. Physical service is one where Macs are limited by their proprietary hardware and service.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
So I got a macbook and installed windows via bootcamp
What a brilliant idea to let you compare them without any
handicapping. I'm now 98% Mac, 2% XP. Frankly, stability (imperfect
for Windows) and no viruses or spyware maintenance is what seals
the deal. All of that wasted time... and the periodic clean installs...
man, what BS I was justfying for years for no reason...
Posted by mgreere (332 comments )
And now you have an unsupported machine
So, what do you do to get support now that you can't from either Apple or Microsoft?
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )