July 26, 2005 6:43 AM PDT

Apple enhances iBooks and Mac Minis

Apple Computer on Tuesday unveiled updates to its iBook laptop and Mac Mini lines, including increased memory and built-in wireless technology.

Between the two products, Apple's iBook G4 line features the most changes, including a scrolling TrackPad and sudden-motion sensor that protects the hard drive if the iBook is dropped. The new iBooks feature Power PC G4 processors running at up to 1.42GHz, with double the memory at 512MB.

In addition to increased memory, the new iBooks offer built-in AirPort Extreme--54mbps 802.11g Wi-Fi networking--and Bluetooth 2.0 wireless connectivity. The wireless features also are compatible with Bluetooth 1.2 devices, such as Apple's wireless keyboard and mouse.

The iBook with 12-inch screen and a 1.33GHz PowerPC G4 costs $999, while the model with a 1.42GHz chip and a 14-inch screen is $1,299.

Apple's updated Mac Mini line also has double the memory, offering 512MB in every model. The Mac Mini with a 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 chip will sell for $499.

In addition, Apple is offering a 1.42GHz Mac Mini with built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth wireless networking technology for $599. A version of that machine with DVD- and CD-burning capabilities via a SuperDrive will sell for $699.

All of the new models are available now.

"Our overall Mac business is very strong," David Moody, a vice president of worldwide product marketing for Apple's Mac line, said in an interview.

Earlier this month Apple reported better-than-expected sales for the past quarter but offered an outlook for the current quarter that was slightly less than what some analysts were forecasting.

Apple said it had not seen a slowdown related to its planned move to Intel chips, but CFO Peter Oppenheimer said that the company was "being prudent" and that the company would have a better sense after this quarter whether Mac sales would remain strong ahead of the company's transition to Intel processors.

With the changes to the iBook, the product moves closer in features to the low-end of Apple's PowerBook line. However, Apple portable executive David Russell said he doesn't expect the improved iBook to steal sales from the PowerBook.

In addition to its aluminum case, Russell noted, the 12-inch PowerBook offers a faster processor and system bus as well as a speedier hard drive. The 15-inch and 17-inch models also have added features such as Gigabit Ethernet networking, faster FireWire ports and an illuminated keyboard.

CNET News.com's Ina Fried contributed to this report.

Apple innovates again!
A laptop with built-in Bluetooth and B/G wireless? Great, it's never been done before! I can't wait to see all the WINDOZE WINTEL PEECEES copy this. </sarcasm>
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Apple innovates again!
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Attention Readers: Story says "Enhancements"
Okay Windowsphiles and Macaddicts, the article clearly says "Apple adds ENHANCEMENTS...." It does NOT say anything about innovation, tho I admit Apple has done plenty of innovation, but this release does not fall into that category.
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
What "Innovations"?
By simply putting animal names in its OS, I see no significant innovations on Mac OSX. As of iBooks, I won't burn my pocket to buy an overpriced and underpowered laptop :)
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Attention Readers: Story says "Enhancements"
Posted by R. U. Sirius (745 comments )
What "Innovations"?
Posted by 201293546946733175101343322673 (722 comments )
Good move on memory
Good to see that Apple doesn't offer below 512mb of RAM in
these lines... 256 barely gets you by with either a Windows or
Apple computer if you do more than boot up and look at the
screen, so it's good to see this. Making that a standard for
memory just makes it easier for the consumer in the long run by
giving them a better computing experience.

As for innovation, it's not. Really ridiculous how quick we are to
criticize the simple announcement of shifting around product
lines. Almost every day you'll see a PC company do something
like this, so what's the big deal? Grow up, honestly.
Posted by hatandglasses13 (68 comments )
Actually...
Apple is also first to include "sudden motion sensor" on the
motherboard. It's great to see this feature on a low end laptop.
Posted by egarc--2008 (28 comments )
Good move on memory
Good to see that Apple doesn't offer below 512mb of RAM in
these lines... 256 barely gets you by with either a Windows or
Apple computer if you do more than boot up and look at the
screen, so it's good to see this. Making that a standard for
memory just makes it easier for the consumer in the long run by
giving them a better computing experience.

As for innovation, it's not. Really ridiculous how quick we are to
criticize the simple announcement of shifting around product
lines. Almost every day you'll see a PC company do something
like this, so what's the big deal? Grow up, honestly.
Posted by hatandglasses13 (68 comments )
Actually...
Apple is also first to include "sudden motion sensor" on the
motherboard. It's great to see this feature on a low end laptop.
Posted by egarc--2008 (28 comments )
(I) Apple user you are so right
I have a G4 Laptop, imac, dell laptop and a dell desktop and what I pay for my powerbook I got the two dells. But I use the powerbook more and people are surprise at work when I used all their apps when doing my presentation (I sold more powerbook then the apple store) the point is I like my mac but I not getting a new one because mac is just dumping thier powerpc chips. If they were to lower the price to about 800.00 with a superdrive then they could sell so many more. Everyone think they cann't do their work on a Mac but 95% of them can but 1500 for a base system is stupid when you can get something 2x as fast at have the price. Apple may be on their last leg if they don't get back up to 5% of the world market and if that happen Then MS is god and we are in hell.
Mac last longer
would not load Tiger on it. I had that laptop for 6 years. I have also
had a Dell laptop the lasted about 3 years. I sold the Lombard on
Ebay and it is still working fine. Point being you might pay more
but look at what you get. Just take a look at the workmanship and I
rest my case.
macs
don't forget though - only with a macintosh do you get Mac OS X...
Posted by elranchero (7 comments )
macs
don't forget though - only with a macintosh do you get Mac OS X...
Posted by elranchero (7 comments )