April 24, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

Apple debuts 17-inch MacBook Pro

Related Stories

Apple ships MacBook Pro with speedier chips

February 14, 2006

Apple sees 'pause' in Mac sales

January 18, 2006
Apple Computer on Monday debuted a 17-inch MacBook Pro, expanding the screen size of its latest notebook line.

MacBook Pro, which was announced in January and features Intel's Duo dual-core chip, is currently available with a 15-inch screen. The new notebooks will begin shipping next week, Apple said in a statement.

The 17-inch MacBook Pro weighs 6.8 pounds and is expected to carry a retail price of $2,799, according to Apple. Its features will be similar to those found in the 15-inch MacBook Pro, such as a built-in iSight video camera for mobile video conferencing and iChat AV for recording a video podcast or iMovie.

Apple notes that its 17-inch MacBook Pro will feature a 2.16- gigahertz Intel Duo processor, allowing it to run up to five times faster than its PowerBook G4. The notebook will also offer 1 gigabyte of the speedier memory, 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM, which can be expanded up to 2GB.

"The 17-inch MacBook Pro delivers the speed and screen area of a professional desktop system," Philip Schiller, Apple senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in a statement.

Click here to watch a video of the MacBook Pro in action.

Apple MacBook Pro, Apple MacBook, Apple Computer, notebook computer, Intel

I'd love one of these
But I am comfortable with my desktop machine... I do think,
perhaps next time I do get a computer I will get a portable...

We'll see.
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
I'd love one of these
But I am comfortable with my desktop machine... I do think,
perhaps next time I do get a computer I will get a portable...

We'll see.
Posted by NeverFade (402 comments )
The Best Mac OS X and Windows Laptop money can buy.
Run both OS beautifully on this amazing piece of hardware.

NOTHING comes close.

Watch and weep Dell fanboys.
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
The Best Mac OS X and Windows Laptop money can buy.
Run both OS beautifully on this amazing piece of hardware.

NOTHING comes close.

Watch and weep Dell fanboys.
Posted by TyTyson (154 comments )
Five times faster, eh?
Is this the same scale that claimed that the Intel chips were five times faster than their PowerPC cousins only to have real-world benchmarking show that the speed increase was minimal to negative?
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Five times faster, eh?
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
Apple Computers Are So Expensive Because...
Apple computers are so expensive because, when you buy one, you not only get a computer, you get membership in a religious cult. -LOL

I prefer the cost-effectiveness of a Wintel-Desktop machines.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Apple Computers Are So Expensive Because...

I prefer the cost-effectiveness of a Wintel-Desktop machines.
Posted by john55440 (1020 comments )
Price Doesn't Matter!
Why do people keep insisting on comparing Apple to Dell, HP,
and Sony?!?

You pay a premium for a nicer product. So what if the specs are
similar, but the MacBook costs more/less then the new Dell?

I could compare the specs of the Toyota Avalon to a Lexus and
however similar they are, the Lexus will always cost more
because it is a premium product with alot of extra attention to
detail, and a better fit & finish.

You also have to keep in mind that this thing is a slick piece of
industrial design, one inch thin, and it's constructed out of
annodized aluminum... when every other machine on the market
is plastic. Are you getting the picture?

Please don't forget that you're not only getting the peace of
mind that OS X brings, but you can also run Windows (and now
Linux) too.

When will people stop bringing up this price debate? You pay
more for a product that you feel is "better". The End.
Posted by baldisthenewhair (5 comments )
Price Doesn't Matter!
Why do people keep insisting on comparing Apple to Dell, HP,
and Sony?!?

You pay a premium for a nicer product. So what if the specs are
similar, but the MacBook costs more/less then the new Dell?

I could compare the specs of the Toyota Avalon to a Lexus and
however similar they are, the Lexus will always cost more
because it is a premium product with alot of extra attention to
detail, and a better fit & finish.

You also have to keep in mind that this thing is a slick piece of
industrial design, one inch thin, and it's constructed out of
annodized aluminum... when every other machine on the market
is plastic. Are you getting the picture?

Please don't forget that you're not only getting the peace of
mind that OS X brings, but you can also run Windows (and now
Linux) too.

When will people stop bringing up this price debate? You pay
more for a product that you feel is "better". The End.
Posted by baldisthenewhair (5 comments )
the new PC laptops are 19"!!!
Think I'll wait about 5-6 months til Apple unveils their NEW 19" laptop!!
Posted by gary85739 (613 comments )
the new PC laptops are 19"!!!
Think I'll wait about 5-6 months til Apple unveils their NEW 19" laptop!!
Posted by gary85739 (613 comments )
Message has been deleted.
Posted by kamwmail-cnet1 (292 comments )
Find us a real competitor
We choose Dell because we know they make cheap PC's. Us Mac users had no idea their high end was over priced. So I guess it's more fair to use one Manufacturer when we want to compare to Apple's low end, but switch to another Manufacturer when it comes to the high end so the PC can fair better?
Posted by nmcphers (261 comments )
Find us a real competitor
Posted by nmcphers (261 comments )
Two Things
Isn't it sad that the same idiots sit at their comuters all day and flame each other? Do something with your ****** lives.
Also, the comments on a new product release (chip upgrade- whoppee) are equal to or more than the comments on a major piece of legislation that could effect us all?
Posted by Webacco CEO (13 comments )
Two Things
Posted by Webacco CEO (13 comments )
17" is overkill
but it's good for the designers. I'm waiting for the 12"!
Posted by microsoft slayer (174 comments )
17" is overkill
but it's good for the designers. I'm waiting for the 12"!
Posted by microsoft slayer (174 comments )
oh my god, everytime!
Can somebody just talk about the article!! For god's sake,
everytime an apple article pops up, the bickering begins.

People who use PCs / Linux : Don't write anything if you don't
give two hoots about the MacBook.

People who use Macs : Just talk amongst yourselves and don't
rise to the bait.

I personally use OS X. I love it, switched over a year ago, and
never looked back. If people who use PCs are too ignorant to try
something else, then that's their problem. If they are happy
using Win XP / Linux, then let them carry on.

It doesn't matter which is better, everyone has their own
opinion. But everytime an apple article comes up, i end up
reading the same posts over and over again. Dell this, Alienware
that. It doesn't matter, each to their own.

P.S. I do consider myself a Mac 'fanatic'.
Posted by thebignoticeboard.com (23 comments )
oh my god, everytime!
Can somebody just talk about the article!! For god's sake,
everytime an apple article pops up, the bickering begins.

People who use PCs / Linux : Don't write anything if you don't
give two hoots about the MacBook.

People who use Macs : Just talk amongst yourselves and don't
rise to the bait.

I personally use OS X. I love it, switched over a year ago, and
never looked back. If people who use PCs are too ignorant to try
something else, then that's their problem. If they are happy
using Win XP / Linux, then let them carry on.

It doesn't matter which is better, everyone has their own
opinion. But everytime an apple article comes up, i end up
reading the same posts over and over again. Dell this, Alienware
that. It doesn't matter, each to their own.

P.S. I do consider myself a Mac 'fanatic'.
Posted by thebignoticeboard.com (23 comments )
Compare to SONY
I don't really want to get into this argument, but when you compare PC laptops to the Mac, I think the best comparison should be to the Sony VAIOs. I think they are closer in style and multimedia functionality to the Mac than other PC manufacturers. For instance, some Sony notebooks come with a built-in camera. I am not declaring a winner, as I don't care to do a detailed comparison.
Posted by darrius3365 (98 comments )
Compare to SONY
Posted by darrius3365 (98 comments )
Bah.
Boot Camp only appeals to people that were already using two systems in the first place, or people that were already considering Macs.

In both cases the choice was already made, they perfer OSX.
Posted by Bob Brinkman (556 comments )
Bah.

In both cases the choice was already made, they perfer OSX.
Posted by Bob Brinkman (556 comments )