March 12, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

Apple aiming for TV breakthrough

Apple may say it wants a revolution, but it might have to settle for something more modest in the digital living room.

Lost in all the hoopla over the iPhone at Macworld was Apple TV, sort of a cross between a Mac Mini, a wireless router, and a set-top box, which couch potatoes can use to connect a big-screen television with a Mac or PC. First introduced last September, Apple TV will hit stores later than CEO Steve Jobs said it would at the recent Macworld. But its imminent arrival, possibly as early as this week, has the usual cadre of analysts and Macheads debating its impact on the "vast wasteland" known as television.

Apple's intentions seem clear: It wants to be the company that finally figures out how to tie the television to the Internet and make video downloads as common as music downloads. "With Apple TV, we believe we are providing a new, better way for people to seamlessly and wirelessly enjoy their digital lifestyles," Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's chief financial officer, said during a presentation at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference last week.

But don't expect Apple TV to be an overnight success. Loads of companies have been flailing at the same goal for several years because of technology and content problems. Many techies are excited about the exploding amount of free video content on the Internet, served up by companies like YouTube and Joost. Most people, however, are still used to watching shows like Lost and The Office or Major League Baseball on their televisions on the day the shows air. They don't think about how the shows arrived on their screens.

And so, set-top cable boxes dominate the living room, perhaps accompanied by TiVo or another digital video recorder. Quiet PCs repackaged for the living room have been slow to catch on as entertainment centers, and wireless adapters meant to connect older PCs can be hard to use and difficult to find.

Rather than trying to convince people to buy a whole new PC for the living room, Apple is pitching a $299 price tag and promoting the hundreds of TV shows and movies on the iTunes Store. But, at least in its first incarnation, it's unlikely that Apple TV will disrupt the entrenched players in the living room, according to analysts.

Cable and satellite companies, along with their set-top box partners, have invested heavily in providing their customers with on-demand shows and pay-per-view movies. You're still going to need one of those set-top boxes alongside Apple TV if you want to watch most shows or games when they air. And analysts say the combination of Apple TV and the Internet isn't the best method right now for delivering high-definition content, which the public has shown a clear interest in watching.

"One of the biggest issues as far as making the Internet your main source of entertainment is that it's something the consumer needs to hook up and network themselves."
--Michelle Abraham, analyst, In-Stat

"I don't see where people are going to be willing to give up their pay TV subscription and go to the Internet for programming" anytime soon, said Michelle Abraham, an analyst with In-Stat.

The premise behind Apple TV is that TV watchers will be able to purchase shows or movies from iTunes and either download them to the Apple TV box or stream them from their PC or Mac over the 802.11n connection to the large screen in the living room. Inside the Apple TV is an Intel processor (believed to be a Pentium M), a 40GB hard drive, an 802.11n wireless chip, and HDMI (high-definition multimedia interface) and component video ports.

Other attempts to bridge that gap between the computer and the television have not resonated with consumers. Start-ups such as Akimbo and MovieBeam have tried to get people used to the idea of acquiring content over the Internet, but have been daunted by a lack of compelling shows and complicated pricing plans. Established companies like Intel and Microsoft have sold plenty of PCs carrying the Viiv and Windows Media Center logos, but there's little evidence that people are actually using those PCs in concert with their televisions--and most of those PCs don't have TV tuners.

"To me, one of the biggest issues as far as making the Internet your main source of entertainment is that it's something the consumer needs to hook up and network themselves," Abraham said. More and more people are setting up wireless networks in their homes, but configuring those wireless networks to handle video has been a more difficult exercise, she said.

This is where analysts believe Apple might have an edge. "One of Apple's strengths is ease of use with elegant solutions," said Chris Crotty, an analyst with iSuppli. If Apple can eliminate the hassles encountered by early adopters of wireless home-media networks, consumers could be more willing to give it a try.

CONTINUED: The Apple TV future…
Page 1 | 2

Apple TV, living room, set-top, Apple Computer, set-top box

I guess Apple didn't want to sell to many...
I guess Apple didn't want to sell too many AppleTV's, because they have limited there sales market to the small (and yes admittedly growing) market of HDTV owners. Now I know that HD is the future, but that future isn't here yet. I work in the cable industry, and only a small fraction of the sd-channels are available in hd, and even a smaller percentage of the shows these hd channels broadcast are produced in hd. Add to that the fact that all the content available for sale on the iTunes store is sd, and the decision to drop a grand to join the hd parade becomes harder and harder to justify.
I'm sure there are more people with SD tv's out there than there are people who are buying an HDTV.
I own thee Mac?s, so yes I can afford a HDTV, I just can't justify it. But I would have loved buying SD programs from iTunes to watch on my sd-tv. -But oh well... :(
Posted by skipperpma (30 comments )
HDTV Justification
I think Apple is trying to help create the HDTV justification by making the new technology a requirement, not an option. They've done this in the past several times... mice, 3.5" floppies, CD drives, USB, etc.

It's a struggle for a while, but once the technology catches on, then Apple finds themselves at the forefront of its usage.

As for HDTV...

I've finally been able to justify HDTV for my personal use. That's because I can finally purchase a 1080p (1920x1080) monitor with multiple inputs (suitable for TV, computer, game console, etc) for under $1000. Mine should arrive tomorrow. :-)
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
I agree with the cable guy...
Myself included, I'm a big Apple fan, and have multiple apple
products and I will more than likely purchase a apple TV, when
the second generation rolls around, (which should be within a
year) however, I still use my 32 inch sanyo tube. It works just
fine for the amount of TV that I watch. I spend more time in
front of the computer than I do the TV. At the moment I can't
justify a HDTV, and when I do, I'll get the Apple TV to go along
with it. Supposedly SDTV will be non-existant by 2009, even
though that has been pushed back originally from 2006 a few
years ago. But if you have a HDTV, and you pay extra for those
HDTV channels on cable, and you live in a major metropolitan
area, one thing that you might have forgot is that all Major
broadcasters are broadcasting in HDTV through teresterial
means. (Over the air..., i.e. Free) To me, tv is just that...TV.
Now when they come out with 3D tv, I might be a bit more
inclined to jump on the band wagon.
Posted by smithjones (103 comments )
"I just can't justify it."
I switched over to HD about 6 months ago and it is now very
difficult to watch anything in standard definition. It's that good. I'll
switch channels just to watch HD. Once you are used to it, you can
never go back.
Posted by Mac User Too (172 comments )
I think you are confused on the direction of TV.
your comments were pretty odd.

Why would Apple want to be backwards compatible with OLD 4:3 TV's? That would make NO SENSE!

Who cares about sales if a customer isn't going to have the best experience. Apple isn't about "making money" or trying to "rack up sales", its goal is to provide the best. So cheapening up the experience for millions just because they aren't ready for HDTV would be extremely shortsighted.

Apple just isn't cut out to do that.

Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
Apple TV : HD + SD TVs
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com/appletv" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com/appletv</a>

Apple TV had HD hook up (HDMI) but also has standard RCA jack
hook ups for SD TVs as well.

NOT JUST FOR HD TVs...
Bridges the gap between HD TV users &#38; SD TV users (for now)
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
Best of luck with that
I wish them the best of luck in whatever breakthrough they're looking for, but it doesn't look like I'll be taking the plunge. I don't really feel like being chained to iTunes, which I only really use these days for its (beyond) excellent (incredible) streaming (jazz) radio, for my extremely limited television needs.

On my side of the equation, I'm not HD yet, but that's not Apple's fault, now is it?
Posted by Christopher Hall (1205 comments )
iTunes doesn't chain you...
iTunes is just an organizer of content, you don't need to use it to "buy" content. There will be all sorts of plug-ins to stream YouTube, Bittorrent, Real, Video Podcasts, etc. Several converters to rip your DVD collection are already starting to appear as well.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.nidesoft.com/dvd-to-appletv-converter.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.nidesoft.com/dvd-to-appletv-converter.html</a>

The AppleTV is really just the iPod concept taken to the Big Screen.
Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
Cable sucks
But it's all we have.
Posted by Blito (436 comments )
Why cable sucks...
The main complaints I have (and have heard from others) is that to get the channels/shows you DO want, you have to pay for a bunch of channels/shows you DON'T want. Because of that, the cost/show that you actually enjoy is quite high, and the flexibility of on-demand viewing costs even more.

I think Apple is trying to change that. The main thing I see missing at this time is a pay-per-view (instead of pay-to-buy) model for their TV shows.

For example, if you could stream any TV show for 49 cents, along with the option to buy it for the normal price (and no monthly subscription fees), then I think Apple could be on to something big.
Posted by open-mind (1027 comments )
Give it a few years
My video library is limited at the moment, but for now I will be
using the Apple TV to be able to listen to my 12,000 lossless audio
tracks. True, Apple does not offer any HD content at the moment,
but I'm sure that will change very soon. As more and more TV
programming is offered over the Internet, devices like Apple TV will
be more common in our homes.
Posted by Galley (55 comments )
"Devices likes AppleTV"
Here's some news- There are already devices like AppleTV on the marketplace now. They have been here for years, do more, cost less, and aren't restricted by DRM.

Apple is coming to the market with a product that doesn't do very much and cost a ton of money, but it will be in the best looking case of them all.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
"Devices likes AppleTV"

Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
iTV short fall outside of US
iTV might be popular in the US but outside forget it. I own a first
generation iPod video 60gig and I still can't buy video content for
my iPod though my iTunes music store and it's been how long?
Anyone watching keynotes should always remember all the
features announced by Steve avaliable in the US and maybe in
your country coming in the distant distant future if your lucky.
Posted by brian.lee (548 comments )
it's AppleTV not iTV...
and the UK and other countries have access to the AppleTV. check it out:

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/</a>
Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
Standby...
If you've looked at iTunes 7.1 lately, you'll see that it shows ratings
(for TV and Movies) support for English speaking countries outside
the US. That can surely mean that video content is forthcoming.
Maybe at the release of AppleTV?
Posted by dominicnz (3 comments )
How consumers will really use these
Part of the problem here is that we're being presented with the computer-industry's wishful thinking about how their technology will be used, and it just isn't panning out. In the living room, the reality is that the primary video choices will come from the cable tv provider and the internet content will be just another "channel" that will remain mostly textual (think of it as a subscription to your daily newspaper being offered up to you through your cable TV). For now, internet content needs to be mediated through computer hardware, which requires us to have an additional "box" (the computer) in the living room, but Cable TV providers can change that if they choose to offer up more sophisticated tv boxes with computer functionality. Since they control access to the content, computer makers and ISP's aren't going to be able to steal a march on them by offering tv-tuning capability on pc's; it's already being done, but they lack the technical means to force the content through the pipe at the desired speed and quality level.

The key component of all this is already in place; televisions which can translate web content as well as television broadcasts are now in most living rooms and can be used as computer monitors as needed. Cable TV providers really control the video pipeline and always will (for legal rather than just technical reasons), so the only avenue left for the computer industry is to start integrating their functions with home theater systems. To do that requires different hardware than what they're offering for the desktop computer (every hear of a stand-alone dvd player with a noisy fan and stylus noises? Or a lengthy booting routine? Of course not...)
Posted by Razzl (1318 comments )
Hmmm, maybe but
First let me say that I think that the article is wrong about one thing. Apple does not want to be "THE ONE" solution but rather "A GOOD" solution.

I do not see Apple trying to sell you on only using AppleTV, but rather presenting a great way to get your current and future video and audio media off the computer and on to your tv and speakers. Even early on, Apple let you send your music from the computer to your entertainment center using Airport.

Click - send - enjoy. It just works.

Maybe your thinking of Microsoft here. They want to be "THE ONE" and "THE ONLY" solution you will ever be able to use. JMHO :-)
Posted by eldernorm (220 comments )
40 gig hard drive? and how much DRM?
I have a terabyte on my Media Center. Can't see how 40 gigs will cut it.
Posted by bobby_brady (765 comments )
no, you don't understand how it works...
you can have unlimited amounts of storage when using the AppleTV. the internal 40GB is just used as a cache from your wired or wireless Macs / PCs or Laptops. Take a look at it works.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com/appletv/" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com/appletv/</a>

And you don't have to use DRM if you don't want to. That's only for paid content through the Music Store, but the AppleTV works with your "owned" content just as well.
Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
Microsoft Media Center Already there sorry
As I watch my Vista Media Center with 6 tuners
third party tool
4 standard tuners
2 over the air digital HD tuners
I am able to watch HD and record, move it around from pc to pc and use my 360 to stream live tv to my bedroom until v2 extenders come out to me clearly Apple is the underdog.

Why would I want AppleTV so I only have the option of purchasing content from Itunes and get locked in.

My Vista Media Center currently has a phot gallery with over 14,000 photos, a music gallery with 12,000 soungs and its all done in a awsome interface

Plus I can do pay per view from Movielink, Vongo, Cinema now and not locked into just 1 vendor like Itunes

It works, they have made it simple to use and I love the fact I can ad recorded TV storage as needed right on the fly, want to use a 500GB drive to store recorded shows, no problem, can do it in like 2 clicks

sorry just not sure what all the fus is about media center is elegant and simple, almost likes it not a microsoft product, shortfalls are all oem related, software is awesome

and its very open with regards to plugins and movie and tv shwo content and more are being added everyday

appletv, 1 store 1 way, 1 lockdown
Posted by mcepat (118 comments )
Thanks, my laugh for the day.
First, I am happy that you are happy. : -)

Second, I have better things to do during the day than play computer nerd with my patch, updated, repatched system.

You said, "appletv, 1 store 1 way, 1 lockdown".

Hmmm, no lockdown, Apple or Windows, Apple, it just works, especially for all of us with better things to do during our day. :-) JMHO
Posted by eldernorm (220 comments )
No lockdown with Apple TV
It sounds like you really like your TV... :-)

While I have nothing to say about your setup, I'm glad that it
works well for you. The only comment I'd like to make is that
Apple TV does not lock you into anything. That's
misinformation. Yes, the iTunes store secures content with
Apple's FairPlay DRM. Buy from iTunes and you're locked in (just
as you are buying from Zune, etc).

However, Apple TV will play all non-DRMed content, so long as
it is in a supported format. For music, this means MP3, AAC,
Apple Lossless, and a few others. For video, this means MP4.
You can rip DVDs to MP4 very easily with utilities such as
MediaFork/HandBrake. You can also convert your existing
content to MP4 this way. No DRM, no lockdown.
Posted by tahoerob (40 comments )
You're a "techie", Apple isn't targeting you.
re-read the article.

The other thing is, it isn't necessary to use iTunes content, any content on the Internet is available, with more on the way everyday.

The article stated "other solutions" "haven't taken off" due to complexity (Microsoft is actually trying to pitch a SERVER for you living room. Yeah, _that's_ what your *average consumer - not a techie! - wants in their Living room - a Server!).
Storage expandability is easy. Plug in a USB drive. No clicks.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Boring
Personally, I find AppleTV and Media Center and the like to be
incredibly boring. Oh look, I can watch movies on my computer
through my TV. Wait, wasn't I already doing that? This is just
another content delivery system and its going to be hamstrung
by network resources for some time still. I mean, people are still
getting excited about 10Mb/s.

However, this does give me some hope that Apple will *finally*
update their network stack with something that isn't so painfully
dog slow and difficult to tune.
Posted by rapier1 (2722 comments )
DVR, Purchasing, Etc.
I have a DVR so as I long as I have it set to record why would I need to buy a show from Itunes? Sure I buy an Office every now and then to watch on the plane but at home? No way. Same with Movies. I can rent it from TWC for $3.95. I don't want to buy it and store on a hard drive for $15. It makes no sense to me. TWC or the other cable companies need to offer a broader catalogue and in HD and then even Netfilx is history. On Demand is the wave of the future. All cable shows will simply be avalable on demand and soon the cable boxes will be connected to the internet and it will be more interactive. You can already vote for stuff through your remote. Networks will be slower but they too will figure out a business model for success. Apple TV? Pointless and already obsolete.
Posted by madiny (18 comments )
Goodbye Subscription TV
I'll admit, I'm not the most die-hard TV watcher out there. I
enjoy a few shows, but generally feel ripped off having to pay
upward of $100 each month for television. Furthermore, I
subscribed to Dish Network (couldn't get DirecTV at my new
house because of a &#38;*!# tree) because of their HD channels.
Guess what? They all suck. There's nothing I want to watch on
them.

I'm sure that in a few years, HD will be the way to go, but right
now it seems like a lot of dough just to be on the bleeding edge.
What appeals most to me about Apple TV is the idea of giving up
subscription TV altogether and simply buying shows from
iTunes. Consider the following:

I pay around $100 each month for TV. Let's call it $100 for the
sake of doing some easy math. That's $1200 each year just for
television!!! Let's say that I watch 10 shows. I can order
complete seasons of each show from iTunes for around $30 -
with NO commercials. With Apple TV, my total TV cost for the
year is $300 (plus the cost of the Apple TV box). I don't have to
sit through commercials and I save nearly $1000 each year.

I know this scenario doesn't appeal to the hardcore TV watchers
out there, but how many of us aren't so hardcore? We're no
doubt the majority, and for us Apple TV offers a compelling and
very affordable new way to watch television. I don't want a fancy
media center PC connected to my TV. I don't care about how
many tuners it has, how much content I can record, etc. If the
content out there was actually DECENT, perhaps I would...but
with each new batch of channels comes even more mediocre
content.

I want to watch movies (easily ripped from DVD to MP4 with any
number of utilities) and a few TV shows (easily purchased from
iTunes). Save $$$. Good user experience. I don't think Apple
TV will be the next iPod. However, once people realize that it
makes a very compelling - and affordable - alternative to
subscription television, I think Apple will have a winner.
Posted by tahoerob (40 comments )
Not for my taste
That is exactly what I DON'T want. I want choices. To be able to
channel hop and look around for interesting things. I only pay
$35 a month for extended digital cable so it is nowhere near
anything that would make sense to buy shows separately from
Apple.

They should have put a PVR in it. I would have gotten rid of my
Tivo instantly and combine my AppleTV and PVR into a
wonderful Apple box. Why did they not do this? Otherwise
almost every one of us will still have to keep our cable
subscriptions and PVR's. And then buy Apple's new box, and for
what? If they tied a PVR and Apple iTunes Movies together they
would still get money from me for pay-per-view things. Isn't a
little profit from lots of people better than nothing from tons of
people? I doubt I am alone here. Apple flopped this one
hardcore. An Apple/Tivo type combo would be awesome.
Posted by bundy5150 (3 comments )
I disagree with one big point.
First let me say that I think that the article is wrong about one thing. I fully believe that Apple does not want to be "THE ONE" solution but rather "A GOOD" solution.

Click - send - enjoy. It just works.

Posted by eldernorm (220 comments )
Who cares about this?
My old Dell laptop from like 2000 or 2001 could connect to the tv already. If you know what you are doing and which software to use, you can connect your networked computers to the tv. This isn't new. Furthermore, this Apple hardware will likely require DRM (probably goes without saying but I haven't used Apple since the early 80s). What a bunch of noobs.
Posted by HandGlad2 (91 comments )
You don't get it
You don't get it.

First, yes, you can connect your old laptop to your TV "if you
know what you are doing." Well, guess what? Most people don't
know how to do this at all. You're in the teeny-tiny minority of
geeks out there who get this stuff. 95% of the world doesn't.

Second, Apple TV does not require any sort of DRM. It uses DRM
to protect iTunes Music Store content. However, you can rip
anything you to want to MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, MP4, etc. and
watch/listen without any restrictions.

How about educating yourself before you spew next time?
Posted by tahoerob (40 comments )
1080p?
The resolution of the AppleTV is not HD, the transmission
technology is too slow for 1080p, the storage technology (40 gig
drive) is too limited for transferring DVD collections. There is no
discount plan for low-res DVD owners to buy the same titles in
HD-AppleTV. I don't understand why they're trying to sell this
prematurely. A long delay is called for, methinks.
Posted by TogetherinParis (318 comments )
My techie friend's experience streaming to plasma...
My friend is a techie. He is also a prfessional audiovisual systems integrator. He was telling how "easy" it was to set up/configure his _router_, etc., and "stream" it to his new plasma. There is a problem though, when his DVD player nears the end of the movie it quits. He doesn't know why, yet. But he'll "figure it out". When he has the time...
But it sure was "easy" to set up his home media network. Right. Have the techies heard about a business called Geek Squad? They have an entire business segment around setting up people's "home-media-NETWORKS". It's a profitiable business. Easy you say?
Media Center: extenders, routers, NAT config. firewalls, virus(?), patches. It doesn't exactly fit the "appliance" category your MOM can use like she uses the TV remote does it? BTW, ahve you seen Apple's _one_ button remote and the interface for iTV? Slick, beautiful, and EASY.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Another Apple "Success"
Once again, Apple steals ideas from everyone around them, and then presents those ideas as the new latest and greatest development. Predictably, the Apple evangelists are out trying to convince themselves and the world that the Apple solution is the only solution, nevermind all the companies that do it better, cheaper, more flexibly, more reliably ? and first.
Posted by MikeeeC (43 comments )
What a joke
Thanks for the laugh. At this point in the industry's
development, I think it's rather laughable to argue that anyone
has "stolen" anything from anyone else. It's all one big stew
these days. Unless, of course, you're talking about Windows
Vista and it's rip-off of Apple's Expose, for example. But I
digress.

What distinguishes products is their ease of use and
effectiveness. Where media "extenders" are concerned, no one
has been successful in the market. Many of the products are
overly complicated and marred by terrible UIs and flakey server
software. I haven't had much experience with Microsoft's Media
Center PCs, but that's a PC connected to your TV, not a simple
media extender pulling content from other sources in the home
(and via the Internet). Two different products, in my mind.

I've finally come to realize what it is about Apple that drives the
hardcore geeks nuts. They can't spend their weekends tinkering
around with the devices. Well, I'm glad you guys still have
Microsoft and all those "reliable" (haha) media extenders from
D-Link, etc. to keep you busy.

Personally I just want to plug in my computer, connect it to my
network, plug in my iPod, and plug in my Apple TV - and have it
all work so that I can spend my weekend on the ski slopes or
hiking a mountain. But that's just me. And thank goodness
there's a company like Apple that lets me have my cake...and eat
it too.
Posted by tahoerob (40 comments )
Incorrect -
Nice comment but you are quite a bit off track:

Apple has never stolen ideas, but they are guilty of learning what others are doing wrong and then "build a product that defines an entire market".

Apple ][ created the PC Market as we know it today. Spawned the "spreadsheet".

Macintosh brought the world the GUI that we all use now.

Newton created the entire class of PDA's we use today.

World Wide Web - Created on a NeXT machine, and transformed the world.

iPod transformed the Music industry, and created 100,000's of free radio stations called Podcasts.

iPhone is poised to shake the cell industry to its knees starting in June. Could eliminate "phone charges" in less than 24 months.

Now AppleTV which only next to Radio and TV is the 3rd step in the evolution visual communications.

Apple is the low cost leader in PCs, MP3 players and soon Phones and streaming TV. So I understand why you are upset, but there really isn't anything you can do at this point in the game.

Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
You're confused, you meant Microsoft, not Apple.
"Once again, (Microsoft) steals ideas from everyone around
them, and then presents those ideas as the new latest and
greatest development. "
We're not trying to say Apple is the "only" solution. Wrong again.
What companies do "it" better, cheaper, more flexibly...???
Name the companies and products! Certainly not the ones
mentioned in the article. They have failed, that's what the article
said - not the Apple users posting here! Who exactly are you
defending?? Spit it out. You're a Microsoftie.
The article says that the adoption of these types of devices (they
are not all the same!) has been "slow". That's because (if you
understood the article) the current solutions have been too hard
to set up and manage, or they just don't work well.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
funny
But I haven't read one single comment from an Apple "evangelist" about Apple's offerings being the only solution. Just Apple's critics.

As has been noted before (if you'd bother to read earlier posts), Apple takes technology or ideas from other products and puts it together in a more elegant, usable way that just works better, and is easier for the average consumer to use. It has always been Apple's mantra to bring great products to the masses, and has been from the beginning.

That means easy to use, and less tinkering, and a great interface.

The guys that do it first, usually do it worse!
Posted by rwahrens (44 comments )
720p is an HD standard, fool.
A lot of HD programming is not even 1080i but rather 720p and there is no broadcast content in 1080p.

All that content I mentioned "is" HD.

Look around at the "HD" LCD and plasma TV's. Most of them do not even display 1080i/p but rather downscale any 1080 content to their native resolution of 720p.

I am afraid that you don't know what you are talking about.
Posted by aristotle_dude (165 comments )
Guess you know everything
1080p is the new HD standard.

Any one selling products that don't have 1080p capability are selling obsolete.

Hell, I just bought a $1700 42" LCD TV from a large electronics outlet. It is nowhere near "top of the line", and yet it does 1080p.

Any one asking my opinion in my repair shop regarding what TV to buy, I always tell them plasma and LCD are a personal choice. Look at both very closly, but whetever you purchase make sure it will do 1080p. You don't want to put out over $1000 and find you can't view the highest def video signals unless you use interlace.
There are two points to purchasing an expensive new TV, a wide screen format and progressive scan. Why would anyone want to revert back to interlace?
Buy a 1080p TV, and in a year or two you'll be glad you did.
Oh, by the way, I can't find any 42" or larger plasma TVs that do not offer at least 1080i. Even most 32" LCD TVs offer 1080i. You been shopping in Bedrock?
Posted by Mergatroid Mania (8395 comments )
Delivery in Higher Education
At Laguna College of Art &#38; Design we are about to use AppleTV to
link our student Laptops to the large screen projectors in our
classrooms. Therefore we can rotate student laptop screens on the
Projector. Additionally Faculty will have local storage, iTunes and
iTunes U for class demos.

Gary Birch
Dean
Posted by geraldbirch (2 comments )
Great idea!
Thanks for posting that, yes the AppleTV represents a new era for Education. Gosh, any student can now wirelessly "broadcast" their work from the classroom. Cool!
Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
Spin
Sure, the industry demands DRM but steve isn't exactly fighting it
hard. As long as content is tied to the player it helps boost
hardware sales. Since the DRM locks the user into one platform
choice any time a user thinks about moving they have to ask
themselves how much they'll lose from their library.

If Apple was about giving users choice they'd have licensed FairPlay
to other vendors. They haven't because it would undercut their
business model.
Posted by rapier1 (2722 comments )
Get the facts about Apple & DRM
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/</a>

Licensing Fairplay to others is addressed in this letter from Jobs.
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
Incorrect...
In the contract Apple has with the Recording Companies is a clause that stipulates the number of "days" a breach to Fairplay DRM can be allowed before Apple is penalized.

So for Apple to "license" Fairplay, it will have to get much more lenient terms, since once the Fairplay algoriythm is released to the web, it's all over for controlling it. THAT's the problem.

Apple doesn't care about the DRM business model since they make very little money from the Apple Music Store, if anything, the relaxation of DRM would be a HUGE boon for Apple since then, EVERYONE would want an iPod since it has the largest, most easy to use online music store. Erase DRM and Apple could obtain 90-95% of the downloaded music share.

So getting rid of DRM... Apple would LOVE! Is that what you want?

Posted by OS11 (844 comments )
Pay-per-View
I find downloading and viewing a Movie/Video/Show from iTunes to watch on my HD TV through my MacBook to be much less painful and full of more choice than my cable provider's PPV.

I'm in line for an Apple TV so I can give my MacBook a rest. It'll also give me more leverage to do away with some of my paid content I never watch since a la carte channel selection is out of the question.
Posted by rkadowns (18 comments )
It's just to make iPod content available to TV
Apple's not trying to compete with set-top boxes or NetFlix or
HD content or anything like that. AppleTV is just to make all that
content you're buying to watch on your iPod or computer
available to be watchable on your TV, in addition to all the other
content on your computer. You get your iPhoto, iMovies, and
iTunes content on your TV - that's all it's for. This way you don't
have to hook up your iPod or your laptop, which is do-able but
can be a pain. It's kind of like buying an iPod for your TV, really.
So don't confuse the issue here, CNET, by trying to make people
think Apple is trying to do anything more - at this point at least.
They'll surely do that soon enough!
Posted by Lucky Lou (88 comments )
Smart TV supported with Microsoft Media Center
TV maker started manufacturing on TV combination with PC. Which is using on video streaming and more features by Micorosft Media Center and very open to plugins and movie and tv show content and more are being added everyday.
Posted by boywai1980 (2 comments )
Smart TV
What is Smart TV?
Posted by Samuthy (2 comments )
Smart TV
What is Smart TV?
Posted by Samuthy (2 comments )
AppleTV? : Go to Apple, Inc.

Macworld Keynote Address about AppleTV + iPhone from Steve
Jobs :
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/" target="_newWindow">http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/</a>

You can play any music/music video from iTunes Library ( NOT
just from iTunes Store purchase) ripped CD's &#38; home videos
from movie folder.

You can play slideshows of your digital photo library with music.

You can share digital content with your friend's laptop with the
SHARED access setting on your TV

SD + HD TV connections.

802.11 N standard wireless hub for entire household. FAST!

Go to the source + wait &#38; see when AppleTV arrives (new
features?)
Posted by Llib Setag (951 comments )
High def
Not interested in any downloadable content until I can get what I want in High def. When Hi-def content is ready, I will be ready. Don't care until then.
Posted by MJD1001 (1 comment )
Watch iPod videos on your TV
All you need to be able to do this is a simple iPod audio/video cable that you can find in most stores for about $20 or on eBay for around $5. It does the exact same thing only you don't have to blow hundreds of dollars on a piece of equipment that will enable you to do so.
Posted by NicDoyon (3 comments )
other appletv functionality....
...an ipod has more limited storage (appletv works with up to 5
computers so content from any computer in the house can be
viewed/listened to)
an ipod does not output in highdef.
an ipod does not have a remote control.
appletv allows you to link up to a friends laptop and view/listen to
their content too...pretty cool.
i think appletv is a great value...
Posted by glen engelmann (30 comments )