June 12, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

A ring tone meant to fall on deaf ears

For classrooms where cell phone use is forbidden, students have found a ring tone that many adults cannot hear.
The New York Times
Audio: Test your hearing age

The story "A ring tone meant to fall on deaf ears" published June 12, 2006 at 7:33 AM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from The New York Times expires after 7 days.

I'm quite surprised...
...that so many adults can't hear it. It's
high-pitched, but well within my hearing range
(and I'm in my mid-30's). Actually, I found it
somewhat painful even with my laptop's volume at
about 50%.
Posted by Zymurgist (397 comments )
ya know
it's all that death metal or something. Could just be the people that tend to become teachers. As the saying goes, "those that can't do teach" heh. I'm 25 and that kinda stayed in my ear, reminds me of the noise emitted by some old TV's as they warm up.
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
It killed my ears
I'm going to be 35 in August and it absoluely killed my ears. It was downright painful.
Posted by msoto01 (3 comments )
I could hear it...
I had to adjust the volume up a bit from my normal listening volume, but not to an uncomfortable level.
I'm hitting 40 this year and yes, I do have a bit of hearing loss, but not that bad. ;-)
Posted by dargon19888 (412 comments )
Don't be surprised
You are only mid-30's. Give it 10 years and then you can say the same thing!
Posted by jacquejg (2 comments )
Me too
I set my computer on minimum volume and could still hear it - much lower than I usually listen to music. I'll be 46 next month and have listened to a lot of loud music in my days.
Posted by saorsa (4 comments )
I am 56, and I heard it!
Even with the volume on my computer set at 50%, I could hear it clearly - it has an annoying whine. I would not be able to be in a room for a long time with it. So tell the kids it's not completely adult-proof! :-)
Posted by itango (80 comments )
I'm quite surprised...
...that so many adults can't hear it. It's
high-pitched, but well within my hearing range
(and I'm in my mid-30's). Actually, I found it
somewhat painful even with my laptop's volume at
about 50%.
Posted by Zymurgist (397 comments )
ya know
Posted by chuchucuhi (233 comments )
It killed my ears
Posted by msoto01 (3 comments )
I could hear it...
Posted by dargon19888 (412 comments )
Don't be surprised
You are only mid-30's. Give it 10 years and then you can say the same thing!
Posted by jacquejg (2 comments )
Me too
Posted by saorsa (4 comments )
I am 56, and I heard it!
Posted by itango (80 comments )
Vibrate mode is better
I always have my cell phone on vibrate mode. I don't want my cell phone to be audible to anyone!! So, why can't they just use that instead of going to all these so-called high tech alternatives.
Posted by bommai (172 comments )
Because
Because in a silent classroom everyone can hear the buzzing sound of the phone vibrating which defeats the entire purpose.

A point that the article failed to mention though is that with enough volume nearly anyone can hear the tone. Its mostly only children who can hear it at low volume.
Posted by Fray9 (547 comments )
Vibrate mode is better
Posted by bommai (172 comments )
Because

Posted by Fray9 (547 comments )
It's okay, grownups have our own secret weapon...
The kids need some kind of equalizer--after all, we grownups have the ultimate secret weapon that the youngsters seem totally unable to master: the ability to see into the future...
Posted by Razzl (1318 comments )
Re: Yup
Yup, the grownup totally saw teenagers using something to repel teenagers to their own advantage......
Posted by mikemil828 (8 comments )
It's okay, grownups have our own secret weapon...
Posted by Razzl (1318 comments )
Re: Yup
Posted by mikemil828 (8 comments )
At, 37 and I can hear it loud and clear...
Does that bucks the trend?
Posted by kylegas (81 comments )
35 and hearing it
My god that sounds horrible! I had the volume set just below half
and jumped out of my chair.
Posted by jon_blaze (4 comments )
35 and hearing it
My god that sounds horrible! I had the volume set just below half
and jumped out of my chair.
Posted by jon_blaze (4 comments )
High pitch ring tone
I don't know about adults not hearing the tone but at 65 I hear it loud and clear.
Posted by hamislof (2 comments )
High pitch ring tone
Posted by hamislof (2 comments )
It's STILL a joke on the kids!
I'm totally a geezer, by this articals standard
( I bougt a Commodoe 64 brand new ) and of cource I can hear it.

But hey folks, the sound is annoying as hell! Thousands of kids are going to be torturing themselves in the attempt to pull a fast one on the "mature" set.

The punch like is the they are using Pavlovion conditioning on themselves to hate their phones! A good percentage og them will permanently dislike getting calls!

Hah hah hah hah ha!!!
Posted by charlweed (6 comments )
ignorant
Kids teaching themselves to hate their ring tone? lol...don't you know you can change the ring tone to something less annoying when school is out? I don't know about the rest of the kids, but I'm willing to put up with a little annoying ring so I can leave my phone on during class. When school is out I can just change the ring no problem.

Also props on your grammar and spelling skills old man. Maybe you should go back to school...
Posted by tjammer21 (2 comments )
Well, this joke's on you!
What did you guys do back in the "good old days" when you were in
school? Because it doesn't look as though you spent it learning
how to spell! ;~)

Sorry, I just had to say it!
Posted by nerd05 (5 comments )
It's STILL a joke on the kids!
I'm totally a geezer, by this articals standard
( I bougt a Commodoe 64 brand new ) and of cource I can hear it.

Hah hah hah hah ha!!!
Posted by charlweed (6 comments )
Well, this joke's on you!
What did you guys do back in the "good old days" when you were in
school? Because it doesn't look as though you spent it learning
how to spell! ;~)

Sorry, I just had to say it!
Posted by nerd05 (5 comments )
ignorant

Posted by tjammer21 (2 comments )
Heard it, but not loudly
I listened to the ring tone in iTunes after reading the article in the NYT. Found it irritating, but not loud, so I guess I've lost some of the capacity to hear high pitched sounds, but not all of it. Wish my vision had held up even that well.
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
Heard it, but not loudly
Posted by J.G. (837 comments )
Didn't need to hear it
<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.elstonsystems.com/prod/cellular_pen_cell_phone_uv_led.html" target="_newWindow">http://www.elstonsystems.com/prod/cellular_pen_cell_phone_uv_led.html</a>
Posted by yellowjester (26 comments )
LOL There ya go!
Brilliant!
At $5 per pen and an average class size of 30 it'd only be about $150 to hand one of these to each student and make them use that pen to take the test.

If youur pen lights up during the test you're busted! Hand over the phone 'til the end of the test.

If you number the pens and record who has which pen you can solve the problem of theft and / or damage.
Posted by DosJock (7 comments )
Didn't need to hear it
Posted by yellowjester (26 comments )
LOL There ya go!
Brilliant!

Posted by DosJock (7 comments )
It´s crazy!!!
There are companies already selling this out to kids in Europe!! www.mosquitono.com
Its such a simple yet creative idea....kids obviusly had to come up with it.
Posted by algolfis (2 comments )
It´s crazy!!!
Its such a simple yet creative idea....kids obviusly had to come up with it.
Posted by algolfis (2 comments )
Didn't hear it, but I went to Woodstock and did hear that
Haw! Back then sure was fun. Seriously though, I got to hear
pretty much all of Jerry Garcia's work, live. You can't do that any
more. He was my favorite musician yet. I hope to hear him in
heaven, though I hear they play a lot of Mozart there. That's fine
with me too.
Posted by JackfromBerkeley (136 comments )
Didn't hear it, but I went to Woodstock and did hear that
Haw! Back then sure was fun. Seriously though, I got to hear
pretty much all of Jerry Garcia's work, live. You can't do that any
more. He was my favorite musician yet. I hope to hear him in
heaven, though I hear they play a lot of Mozart there. That's fine
with me too.
Posted by JackfromBerkeley (136 comments )
reminds me of my occassional tinitus
irritating as hell
Posted by keltik (5 comments )
reminds me of my occasional tinitus
irritating as hell
Posted by keltik (5 comments )
reminds me of my occasional tinitus
irritating as hell
Posted by keltik (5 comments )
Don't they realize...
...that they're just going to encourage dogs and cats to use even higher-pitched ring tones to hide their incoming calls from humans?

They might also experiment with ultra-low frequency ring tones, so you'll know if you have a call if you suddenly feel disoriented and sick. Or you could just turn off your cell phone in class.
Posted by Ikthog (43 comments )
Latest RFIDs for pets have GPS, telephone, and your credit card number
That way they can order the food they like, and have it delivered
without your having to worry. Too big an order and they get the
low frequencies, feel squeemish, and order less, being in this way
trained to order in moderation. These chips will be out for all of us
humans too, very soon. I can't wait.
Posted by JackfromBerkeley (136 comments )
Don't they realize...

Posted by Ikthog (43 comments )
Latest RFIDs for pets have GPS, telephone, and your credit card number
That way they can order the food they like, and have it delivered
without your having to worry. Too big an order and they get the
low frequencies, feel squeemish, and order less, being in this way
trained to order in moderation. These chips will be out for all of us
humans too, very soon. I can't wait.
Posted by JackfromBerkeley (136 comments )
I'm 59, and it gave me a headache!
That was 20 minutes ago, and I still feel it! If anyone remembers the ultrasonic security alarms from the '70s, those things affected me the same way--I could hardly stand to be in a building with one.
Posted by Ron H (2 comments )