Boxee set to battle Apple TV, Roku
While CNET's New York office waits for power to come back after the storm, we're bringing you the Update show from our San Francisco office. Thursday's top tech stories include:
- Boxee TV arrives at Walmart for $99 and offers perks for early adopters, including three months of free service and a discounted DVR subscription afterward.
- AT&T and T-Mobile have activated a new service that blocks smartphone thieves from using a stolen phone on GSM networks.
- AT&T launched the AT&T Locker app that offers 5GB of free cloud storage to customers with Android and Apple devices.
- Amazon Game Studios released its first mobile app game, Air Patriots. This is the second digital game made by Amazon. The first was a Facebook-based game called Living Classics.
- Federal officials say communication networks impacted by superstorm Sandy have seen slight improvement. About 25 percent of the nation's wireless cell sites and cable customers were without service.
- As in previous disasters, the Red Cross is taking donations via text messages. Also, Apple's iTunes has become a hub for donating to the Red Cross.
Watch CNET Update in the video above, or subscribe to the podcast via the links below.
iTunes (HD) | iTunes (SD) | iTunes (HQ)
RSS (HD) | RSS (SD) | RSS (HQ)