As part of its massive product announcement on Tuesday, HP is introducing the semirugged EliteBook 6930p, a 14.1-inch laptop that's built to MIL-STD-810F specifications for vibration, dust, humidity, altitude, and temperature. That means the EliteBook's brushed anodized aluminum casing and magnesium-alloy chassis can withstand temperatures ranging from -20° F up to 140° F, humidity up to 95 percent, and altitudes up to 15,000 feet, among other feats.
Like most 14.1-inch laptops, the EliteBook 5930p will include a full-size spill-resistant keyboard that's as useful around the office as it is in extreme conditions. The keyboard deck includes a fingerprint reader and a row of touch-sensitive media controls. Buyers can opt for a backlit-LED display; every model includes a 2-megapixel Webcam in the display bezel.
Inside the case, you'll find Intel's Centrino 2 platform, with Penryn-class Intel Core 2 Duo 9000 and 8000 series CPUs, the Intel Mobile 45 chipset (with optional vPro support), and a choice of integrated Intel or discrete ATI graphics. Based on Intel's delayed release dates for the Centrino 2 components, we expect the ATI-based EliteBook to ship in July, with the integrated-graphics version to follow in August.
Pricing starts at $1,179; a full list of specs is after the jump.
HP EliteBook 5930p
- Intel Core 2 Duo 9000 and 8000 series (Penryn) CPUs
- Intel Mobile 45 chipset
- 128 or 256 MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 or integrated Intel graphics
- Up to 8GB of 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- 120/160/250 GB (5,400rpm) or 160GB (7,200rpm) hard drives
- DVD burner (optional Blu-ray burner) in a swappable bay
- 14.1-inch display, WXGA or WXGA+ resolutions, optional LED backlighting
- 2-megapixel Webcam (with business card reader function) and dual mic array
- Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, optional WWAN
- SD card slot, ExpressCard reader
- Three USB 2.0 ports, mini-FireWire jack, VGA-out
- Touchpad and pointing stick
- 4.7-pound starting weight
- 13 inches wide, 9.6 inches deep, 1.2 inches thick at front
- One-year or three-year warranty, depending on where you purchase it