Congrats to Nels S. of St. Paul, Minn., for winning a pair of HiFiMan HE-400 headphones in last week's giveaway. If you like geek toys, this week's prize will have you flying high.
We've got an Elev-8 Quadcopter Kit from electronics manufacturer Parallax. The kit includes a frame, mounting hardware, motors, speed controllers, propellers, and a control board for flight stabilization. You just need to provide the battery and the RC radio equipment (Parallax recommends a six-channel RC radio).
This kit's not for beginners, as building and flying this baby requires a moderate amount of mechanical skill. Once it's put together, the flyer measures about 3 feet by 3 feet and weighs 2.5 pounds. You can use it for land mapping and surveying, taking aerial video, or just looking cool.
Normally, an Elev-8 Quadcopter Kit would cost you $599, but you have the chance to get one for free. How? There are a few rules, so please read carefully. And while we're talking Parallax, CNET's Donald Bell and Seth Rosenblatt visited the Rocklin, Calif., electronics manufacturer earlier this year. Be sure to check out their gallery below.
- Register as a CNET user. Go to the top of this page and hit the "Join CNET" link to start the registration process. If you're already registered, there's no need to register again.
- Leave a comment below. You can leave whatever comment you want. If it's funny or insightful, it won't help you win, but we're trying to have fun here, so anything entertaining is appreciated.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified.
- The winner will be chosen randomly. The winner will receive one (1) Parallax Elev-8 Quadcopter Kit, with a retail value of $599.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via e-mail. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Monday, September 30, 12 p.m. ET.
And here's the disclaimer that our legal department said we had to include (sorry for the caps, but rules are rules):
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. YOU HAVE NOT YET WON. MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENT OF ONE OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR D.C., 18 YEARS OLD OR AGE OF MAJORITY, WHICHEVER IS OLDER IN YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE AT DATE OF ENTRY INTO SWEEPSTAKES. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, ALL U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS, AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Sweepstakes ends at 12 p.m. ET on Monday, September 30, 2013. See official rules for details.