Congrats to Jeffrey W. of Urbana, Ill., for winning our last giveaway of 2012, an LG Optimus G smartphone from Sprint.
It's mid-winter, so you're likely to see a lot of scarfs out and about. Most of them, however, probably do not contain retroreflective lenses that alter the shade of the fabric depending on the light. If you win this week's giveaway, yours will.
For our first freebie of the new year, we're giving away a Retroreflective Scarf by geek designer, author, and former "Project Runway" contestant Diana Eng. Diana fashions all kinds of cool techno-wear, including a collection of "smart scarves" with designs inspired by science, math, and technology.
Her new Retroreflective Scarf sports subtle stripes that normally appear gray. But when exposed to a direct light source, the tiny lenses on the stripes illuminate with reflected light, creating different shades. It's like having several scarves in one (see the video below for a better sense of how it works). The cotton scarf measures 14x96 inches.
Normally, Eng's fancy light-dependent scarf would run you $60, but you have the chance to get one for free. How do you go about doing that? There are a few rules, so please bundle up and read carefully.
- Register as a CNET user. Go to the top of this page and hit the Join CNET link to start the registration process. If you're already registered, there's no need to register again.
- Leave a comment below. You can leave whatever comment you want. If it's funny or insightful, it won't help you win, but we're trying to have fun here, so anything entertaining is appreciated.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified.
- The winner will be chosen randomly. The winner will receive one (1) Retroreflective Scarf designed by Diana Eng, with a retail value of $60.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via e-mail. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Monday, January 7, at 12 p.m. ET.
And here's the disclaimer that our legal department said we had to include (sorry for the caps, but rules are rules):
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. YOU HAVE NOT YET WON. MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENT OF ONE OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR D.C., 18 YEARS OLD OR AGE OF MAJORITY, WHICHEVER IS OLDER IN YOUR STATE OF RESIDENCE AT DATE OF ENTRY INTO SWEEPSTAKES. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, ALL U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Sweepstakes ends at 12 p.m. ET on Monday, January 7, 2013. See official rules for details.