Along with updates to its AV receiver line, Onkyo has announced two new home-theater-in-a-box (HTIB) systems in its 2011 line. These new systems look to be largely similar to last year's HT-S3300 and HT-S5300, with a few upgrades.
Key features of the Onkyo HT-S3400:
- 5.1-channel HTIB
- Four HDMI inputs
- Advanced HDMI features like 3D pass-through and audio return channel (ARC)
- Onscreen graphical user interface (GUI)
- $380 list price; available in April
Key step-up features of the Onkyo HT-S5400:
- 7.1-channel HTIB
- Dolby Pro Logic IIz processing
- Can directly connect iPod/iPhone via front-panel USB port
- Powered subwoofer
- $600 list price; available in April
The biggest upgrade here is the USB port with iPod/iPhone compatibility offered on the HT-S5400. We're fans of direct iPod connectivity--without the need for a pricey iPod dock--and we're happy to see the feature make its way into an Onkyo HTIB.
While the feature set looks solid from the spec sheet, Onkyo's biggest strength is usually its outstanding sound quality for the price, and we won't know about that until we get these systems in for testing.