As anybody who has tried to charge an electronic device using a solar charger knows, it doesn't juice up the device nearly as quickly as your typical power adapter would--and the Surge is no exception. The charging case can provide up to 30 minutes of talk time on a 3G network, or 60 minutes on 2G, from 2 hours of direct sunlight. Novothink also includes a USB cable to use the Surge on cloudy or rainy days, though you'll obviously need to be near a power source--or a charged-up laptop--to power the unit.
Normally, the Novothink Solar Surge would cost about $80, but you have the chance to get it gratis. (Novothink also makes a Solar Surge designed for the iPod Touch, but we're giving away just the iPhone version.)
So, how do you try to win this iPhone solar charger and case? Let me enumerate the basic rules. Please read them carefully; there will be a test.
- Register as a CNET user. Go to the top of this page and hit the "Join CNET" link to start the registration process. If you're already registered, there's no need to register again.
- Leave a comment below. You can leave whatever comment you want. If it's funny or insightful it won't help you win, but we're trying to have fun here, so anything entertaining is appreciated.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified.
- The winner will be chosen randomly. The winner will receive (1) black Novothink Solar Surge for iPhone. Approximate retail value is $80.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via e-mail. Winners must respond within three days of the end of the contest. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Monday, May 17 at noon EDT.
And here's the disclaimer that our legal department said we had to include (sorry for the caps, but rules are rules):
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. MUST BE LEGAL RESIDENT OF ONE OF THE 50 UNITED STATES OR D.C., 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AT DATE OF ENTRY INTO SWEEPSTAKES. VOID IN PUERTO RICO, ALL U.S. TERRITORIES AND POSSESSIONS AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Sweepstakes ends at 12 PM EDT on May 17, 2010. See official rules for details.