- Aperture exit strategies - Apple discussion forum - A post just days before Aperture 2.0 was released. "As there seem to be some issues concerning the long-term viability of Aperture, I am looking at how to salvage my work and move to a supported professional-level application."
- Some Apple commentary on raw support with Aperture 2.0 - Not a huge advance in the discussion here, but some scraps of detail from Apple execs.
- Tech Tips from Chuck Westfall - No, shooting a Canon PowerShot G9 set to 6 megapixels doesn't produce better image quality than set for 12 megapixels. Shoot raw if you want quality, he advises. Also some notes on using older lenses.
- Dilbert discovers virtualization - I'm clearly not making much headway in my attempt to get "v12n" to catch on as a more convenient term.
- Bruce Perens - State of Open Source Message: A New Decade For Open Source - A look back after 10 years after the drafting of the Open Source Definition by Bruce Perens and Eric Raymond: "Our first mistake: for a time, there was a conflict between Open Source and Free Software evangelism.
- Canon patent for iris registration mode - Biological Copyright Metadata : Photography Bay - Copyright meets biometrics. Intriguing.
- D200 "Black Frame Syndrome" Solved - Jeffrey Friedl's Blog - "It turns out that the D200's white balance setting can be set to a white-balance preset that has not yet been defined, and when this happens, you get the Black Frame Syndrome."
- The Auction of Getty Images Appears to Be Stalled - New York Times - No bidders going above the company's market cap. "The auction's collapse may also reflect waning interest in established photo and video providers like Getty when many competitors offer similar material at much lower cost."
- Canon EOS 40D review Cameralabs resolution results - Even 2+ years after release, the Canon 5D resolution looks better than the new 40D. Qualifier: this is just one test. Things look better in raw, so some of this is probably just sharpening.
- Interesting advice on de-crufting Windows - Shipping Seven - "Re-create your profile instead of reinstalling Windows." I think I'll try this...
- Ah, memories...Dvorak's 2003 prediction Apple would switch to Itanium - A classic Dvorak prognostication from 2003: "Prediction: Apple Computer Corp. will switch to Intel processors within the next 12 to 18 months...What will be radical is the company's choice of processor. Apple will announce its use of the Itanium chip."
- Why Marten Mickos sold MySQL to Sun - Mickos shares his thoughts about the Sun acquisition.
- Mike Olson, co-founder of Sleepycat, leaves Oracle - Matt Asay - I guess he didn't want to stick around at Oracle.
CNET on Cars
Top 5 Coolest Concept Cars
During the summer 2013 lull in the international auto show calendar, we take time to rank our favorite high tech concept cars so far this year.