Apple and Samsung can't be stopped in the handset market, according to new data from analysts at Cannacord Genuity.
The analysts on Monday reported that Apple and Samsung again combined to capture all of the operating profits in the handset industry in the first quarter of 2013. In other words, there isn't a single other device maker competing in the mobile industry right now that's actually nabbing operating profits.
Although that might sound like bad news for companies like Nokia, Motorola, and Sony, Cannacord pointed out that in the past, Apple and Samsung had actually combined to generate more than 100 percent of industry profits, due to losses at other handset makers. This time around, the figure is just 100 percent.
According to Cannacord, Apple generated 57 percent of the handset industry's profits during the first quarter, leaving 43 percent to Samsung. Apple previously owned 72 percent of industry profits in the fourth quarter of 2012, indicating Samsung is coming on strong. Cannacord expects Samsung to gain even more share in the second quarter.
One other interesting note from Cannacord's findings: Apple's iPhone 5 was the top-selling smartphone between January and April at AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Samsung's Galaxy S3 was tops between January and March at T-Mobile, but in April when the company started carrying Apple's iPhone 5, that handset took the lead.