A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Not so windy: Research suggests winds dying down - Associated Press
This study is still speculative but worth watching as underperforming turbines can have a big financial impact.
- 'Zero Carbon' Motorcycle Racing - New York Times
There seems to be a trend of electric motor racing to raise awareness of pollution and to have people learn about electric power trains.
- Cleaning Air With Bacteria? Greentech Media
More work for micro-organisms, this time it's removing VOCs (volatile organic compounds) from paint factories and such.
- Wireless Power Harvesting for Cell Phones - Technology Review
We've heard of harvesting motion to charge gadgets but Nokia's talking about using RFID-type technology so you would never need to charge your phone again.
- Are Commercial Buildings Ready for Open-Source Energy Management? - Earth2Tech
Open-source project worth watching. Building automation products are proprietary these days but with more vendors like Cisco and IBM moving in, there will be a push for standards.
- Drinking Water From Air Humidity - Science Daily
Researchers say they've developed a way to draw drinking water from air humidity using solar power.
- Making Waves: Why Getting Power from the Ocean Is So Tough - Wall Street Journal
Another reality check on ocean power which has some serious cost and construction hurdles before being commercial.