A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Green-energy gurus not holding breath on CO2 rules - MarketWatch
The word from the money people is: "Give us the rules and let us lead the way to transitioning to a low-carbon economy."
- Roll-Up Solar Panels - Technology Review
Toledo-based Xunlight makes progress on flexible solar cells using combination of silicon and other materials.
- Startup Green Energy Tech Installs First Small-Wind Concentrators - Earth2Tech
Having uncovered a couple of companies that also concentrate wind to get more power, I'd say this is officially a trend.
- New Chips Can Boost Solar Power - Wall Street Journal
One example of how IT companies are providing tech for measuring and monitoring, in this case it's the performance of solar panels.
- Video: Tomorrow's smart grid - ZDNet (above)
At the Churchill Club's 11th Annual Top Ten Tech Trends, venture capitalists discuss whether the smart grid and smart meter trends will continue to produce innovation and what the motivating factors will be.
- European body sees algae fuel industry in 10-15 years - Reuters
Reality check on algae biofuels, which will take at least a decade to reach commercial scale.
- Cap-And-Trade Would Have Varying Effect on S&P 500 - Sustainable Business
Some companies will be affected more than others from carbon regulations. The S&P 500 emits more than all the cars, trucks, buses and aircraft in U.S.
- VC group's Heesen says clean tech still hot - Reuters
Snap shot of clean tech investing where the U.S. is lagging other countries and investment is down sharply in Q1 this year.
- Dreams of dollars blown away: Kittery wind turbine turns out to be an underperformer - Fosters Daily Democrat
Via a reader, this Maine town finds that a 50-kilowatt wind turbine underperformed because of nearby structures.
- We've got no choice but nukes and carbon-capture tech, says Jeffrey Sachs - Grist
Economist Sachs brings China into the climate change/energy discussion.