A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Q & A: Steven Chu - Technology Review
Energy Secretary Steven Chu talks about coming up with a new nuclear-power and waste management strategy and why hydrogen vehicles have four strikes against them.
- Waxman predicts committee passage as details emerge on climate, energy bill - GreenWire
A House energy and climate bill makes progress through compromises, although it's not a done deal. Latest draft lowers carbon emissions targets and renewable electricity mandate while devising a system for dealing with emissions allowances.
- Husk Insulation Wins $200,000 MIT Clean Energy Prize: Building Better Refrigerators from Rice Husks - Xconomy
The hottest green technologies popping out of universities these days are insulation from rice husks and energy-harvesting shock absorbers.
- Semiconductor Technology: The Potential to Revolutionize U.S. Energy Productivity - Press Release
Yes, electronics consume huge amounts of juice but an energy-efficiency advocacy group argues that semiconductors are essential to efficiency gains.
- PG&E and BrightSource Sign Record Solar Power Deal - Press release
Pacific Gas & Electric re-ups its purchase of solar thermal systems which will produce 1.3 gigawatts of electricity.
- Greentech's Top Ten Acquisition Targets - Greentech Media
Semi-educated guesses on which green-tech companies could be gobbled up by larger brethren.