A sampling of green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Dark Days for Green Energy - The New York Times
The credit crisis is seriously disrupting wind and solar business, slackening demand and creating layoffs.
- Will Green Energy Wilt from Lack of Funds? - BusinessWeek
More on why a dearth of "tax equity" is derailing renewable energy projects.
- Half Britain's homes could be heated by renewable gas, says National Grid - Press release
One advantage: biomethane made either by gasifying biomass or processing sewage could be piped through the existing natural gas network.
- Ford to Follow GM in Making Plug-in Battery Cells Overseas - Earth2Tech
Ford chooses battery supplier for electric vehicles due in 2012.
- Smart Grid Cross-Pollination at DistribuTech - Greentech Media
A wrap-up of smart-grid news at utility conference, pointing to how Balkanized the smart-grid business is.
- Tesla in 'late-stage' talks on new factory site - San Jose Business Journal
Having had to scrap plans to build a new factory for its Model S electric sedan, Tesla is now close to locating another spot, apparently still in Silicon Valley area.
- Can Oceans Power the Data Center of the Future? - GreenerComputing
A project to power a floating data center with a tidal energy generator takes one step ahead.
- Peak Lithium: Will Supply Fears Drive Alternative Batteries? - Wall Street Journal
Peak lithium is back in the news after Time and The New York Times travel to Bolivia and consider the geopolitics of lithium supply and demand.
- N.C. Utilities Commission schedules new hearing on Duke Energy solar plan - Triangle Business Journal
Duke Energy's plan to install and own solar panels on building rooftops is in jeopardy because of complications ultimately stemming from tax-based renewable energy policies.