- A sampling of
green-tech news with quick commentary.
- Surpassing expectations: State of the U.S. wind power market --Renewable Energy Access
A data download from the Department of Engery on the booming wind industry.
- Solar panels becoming target for thieves--CBS5.com
Hot commodities: a school in Pleasanton, Calif., has its solar panels stolen.
- Hydrogen cars boosted by EU backing and home fuel station--SmartPlanet.com
A U.K. company says it has come up with a more cost-effective way to make hydrogen from water using a refrigerator-size appliance.
- India's Tata to launch electric car in Norway in 1 year--Reuters
A small, all-electric car with a range of 110 miles on a two-battery pack will be on the market next year.
- Assessing the value of small wind turbines--NYTimes.com
Roof-mounted wind turbines are cool from an eco-hip point of view, but the payback is not comparable to solar panels yet.
- Codexis withdraws IPO--Cleantech Group
Biofuels catalyst company pulls plans to go public, following a few others in the biofuels area.
- Presidential candidates compete for best plug-in policies--CalCars
Both candidates advocate tax credits for fuel-efficient vehicles, with Barack Obama having a more aggressive policy, according to CalCars. (Via Earth2Tech)
- Microbes for off-the-grid electricity--Technology Review
Profile of a company that one researcher calls the first practical application of microbial fuel cells where electrodes in the Earth power small appliances like cell phones and LED lights.
- First fuel-cell-powered commercial passenger boat inaugurated in Germany--Triple Pundit
Fuel-cell motors for boats are a great application, speaking as someone who would rather not listen to their motors or breath their exhaust.
- Corporate VCs turn to clean-tech start-ups--Wealth Bulliten
More on interesting trend of large corporations investing in clean-tech start-ups to get access to technology. This works out for start-ups, too, as they can test their technology and have access to more capital than VCs can offer.
- Seven funds known to have invested in Miasole's latest round--Clean Edge
Stealthy CIGS solar start-up, which has hit some serious technical bumps, is said to have raised another large round of funding.
- PC movement: How green is your computer?--WSJ.com
The latest in eco-friendly PCs is materials with fewer toxins and recycling programs.