The most popular mobile-gaming franchise in the world is now a bit easier for you to get your hands on.
Customers who head over to the App Store today will find that the iPhone and iPad versions of Angry Birds are available for free. Previously, the iPhone version was on sale for 99 cents. Angry Birds HD for the iPad was available for $2.99. Rovio previously offered free versions of the titles, but those were limited to only a few levels. Those now appear to be gone from the App Store.
- Jolla embarks on Sailfish 1.0 with an Android launcher -- and an Angry Birds cover
- Can new Angry Birds game ease your Flappy Birds pain?
- Angry Birds maker Rovio: We don't share data with NSA
- NSA using 'leaky apps' like Angry Birds, Google Maps to siphon user data
- Mario, Coke -- Angry Birds? Rovio eyes pop culture pantheon
Angry Birds was the game that kicked off a huge business for Rovio. The game's sweeping success prompted the company to launch a full line of plush toys, school supplies, and a host of other titles inspired by the first game, including Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Seasons.
Although the original Angry Birds is now free, it's not clear whether it'll stay that way. As of this writing, nothing on the Rovio site or social-network pages mentions that the game has gone free or for how long it'll stay that way.
CNET has contacted Rovio for comment on the move. We will update this story when we have more information.
(Via The Verge)