BlackBerry's BBM messenger service keeps chugging along.
- BlackBerry promises no ads on BBM chat
- BlackBerry chief gives turnaround 50-50 chance
- 94% of BlackBerry users traded in for a different device -- report
- Ford 'not married' to Microsoft for next-gen Sync, but BlackBerry isn't necessarily in
- BlackBerry CEO: We're readying another flagship to win over new customers
The company said that BBM has racked up more than 10 million downloads in its first 24 hours.
"I've seen reports of apps that launched with 1 million downloads in a day, but over 10 million? Amazing," BlackBerry executive Andrew Bocking said on the company's blog.
BBM hasn't yet shown up on Google Play, but that could be because Google doesn't update the list as frequently. Bocking noted there have been 60,000 five-star reviews out of 87,000 total reviews.
There was significant demand for the iOS and Android version of BBM, with 6 million registering ahead of time to get information on the app. There was so much interest that BlackBerry had to institute a wait list for people who hadn't registered ahead of time.