Microsoft's big week continued today with a new app release. Xbox SmartGlass for Android hit the Google Play store this afternoon.
SmartGlass offers a slick second-screen experience for Xbox 360. Developers of Xbox apps can use SmartGlass to let users interact with TV shows, movies, sports and games. The technology, which was first shown off at E3 this year, will eventually turn smartphones and tablets into second screens and controllers for a variety of games and apps.
Some key features:
- Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
- Use your phone's keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
- Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
- Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
- Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games
There's a social aspect to the app as well: users can connect with friends on the Xbox Live service, compare achievements, and dress up their avatars.
The app requires Android 4.0 and an Xbox Live membership. An iOS version is expected but not yet available.