It appears that people into pirating movies on the Internet are fans of Middle-earth. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" was deemed the most pirated movie on 2013 with 8.4 million downloads.
While getting hard numbers on pirated movies can be difficult -- given the illegality and anonymity of the practice -- TorrentFreak was able to put together a list of the world's 10 most pirated movies in 2013 based on "several sources," which includes download statistics from public BitTorrent trackers.
TorrentFreak notes that some of the year's top grossing movies, like "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" and "Man of Steel," didn't make the most pirated list. Last year's most pirated list placed "Avatar," "The Dark Knight," and "Transformers" in the top three slots.
It's unclear how much of a dent movie pirating is making on box office revenue, DVD rentals, and the on-demand streaming business. But, TorrentFreak says that box office earnings were record-high in 2013 with nearly $11 billion in revenue.
Here's the full top 10 most pirated movies list for 2013:
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: 8.4 million downloads
- Django Unchained: 8.1 million downloads
- Fast and Furious 6: 7.9 million downloads
- Iron Man 3: 7.6 million downloads
- Silver Linings Playbook: 7.5 million downloads
- Star Trek Into Darkness: 7.4 million downloads
- Gangster Squad: 7.2 million downloads
- Now You See Me: 7.0 million downloads
- The Hangover Part 3: 6.9 million downloads
- World War Z: 6.7 million downloads