Harnessing the watching power of its millions of viewers, YouTube released its top 10 trending videos of 2013 on Wednesday.
Yes, the Miley Cyrus spoof video is in there. Yes, Jean Claude Van Damme's truck split is on it. Yes, a Harlem Shake video made the list. But, what's not on the list? Cat videos, homemade videos, and wacky amateur recordings are, for the most part, missing. This year's list is full of professional videos.
Gone are the days when an unknown dad could upload a video of his son acting hilarious post-dental surgery and develop a massive following (this video now has more than 122 million views). These were the videos that YouTube became known for, but now times have changed.
Since the global community is now helping to be YouTube's tastemaker, it makes sense that "The Fox" video by Ylvis was the top viral video this year with more than 275 million views. This Norwegian super-duo is not as well known in the US. Besides having international video makers, the top trending list also has a handful of advertisements and music-focused videos.
Here's the full top 10 list for 2013:
- Ylvis - "The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)" by tvnorge
- "Harlem Shake (original army edition)" by kennethaakonsen
- "How Animals Eat Their Food" | MisterEpicMann by MisterEpicMann
- "Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version)" by SteveKardynal
- "baby&me / the new evian film" by EvianBabies
- Volvo Trucks - "The Epic Split feat. Van Damme" by VolvoTrucks
- "YOLO (feat. Adam Levine & Kendrick Lamar)" by thelonelyisland
- "Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise" by CarrieNYC
- "THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading" by BadLipReading
- "Mozart vs. Skrillex. Epic Rap Battles of History Season 2" by ERB
Below is a video YouTube made with more than 60 creators to celebrate all of the top trending and music videos for 2013.