Frank Lloyd Wright began construction of his western headquarters, Taliesin West, in Scottsdale, Ariz., in 1937. He had come to Arizona in 1927 to help with the designs for the Arizona Biltmore, but found himself drawn to the area and bought several hundred acres of land.
The property is now home to the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and serves as a functioning architecture school. Wright also ran Taliesin in Wisconsin, which serves as the other campus of the architecture school. The exterior entrance to Taliesin West features Wright's trademark use of geometric angles, as well as his "holding hands" symbol.
CNET News.com's Daniel Terdiman stopped here as part of his Road Trip 2007 around the Southwest.
July 25, 2007 11:32 AM PDT
Photo by: Daniel Terdiman/CNET News.com
Conversation powered by Livefyre