April 19, 2007 11:04 AM PDT

Dell brings back XP on home systems

Dell is bringing XP back.

Amid significant customer demand, the computer maker said on Thursday that it has returned to offering the older Windows version as an option on some of its consumer PCs.

Like most computer makers, Dell switched nearly entirely to Vista-based systems following Microsoft's mainstream launch of the operating system in January. However, the company said its customers have been asking for XP as part of its IdeaStorm project, which asks customers to help the company come up with product ideas.

"We heard you loud and clear on bringing the Windows XP option back to our Dell consumer PC offerings," Dell said on its Ideas in Action page. Users get to vote on various suggestions, and the notion of bringing back XP got 10,000 "points," making it among the most popular requests but well below top picks such as adding Linux or OpenOffice.org to its PCs.

Windows XP systems became scarce, but not impossible to find, after Vista arrived. For example, Hewlett-Packard said it would continue selling XP on some machines aimed at small and midsize businesses, while CompUSA still stocks a couple of business-oriented XP systems in its retail stores. Lenovo has also continued shipping XP on many of its business systems.

Starting immediately, Dell said, it is adding XP Home and Professional as options on four Inspiron laptop models and two Dimension desktops.

Earlier this month, Dell added XP back as an option for small-business customers, but at the time, it said it would not add it back for home users.

"Dell does not have plans to launch Windows XP for home users as the preference, and demand is for the 'latest and greatest' technology, which includes Windows Vista," Tom West, director of small-business marketing at Dell, said in a blog posting at the time.

Analysts say Dell's move is not a good sign for Windows Vista.

"That there is remaining demand from some segment of (the) consumer market points to the inability of Vista to resonate with consumers," IDC analyst Richard Shim said.

There was an initial bump for Vista sales right after its launch, Shim said, but some of that may have been from consumers who delayed purchasing a PC late last year. Sales in the later part of the first quarter were less strong, he said. The overall response to Vista will become clearer throughout the year, he said.

Current Analysis research director Samir Bhavnani said most of the demand for XP he sees is from small businesses, rather than consumers.

"They know that XP works," Bhavnani said. "It's not that they don't want to upgrade to Vista. They just don't want to upgrade to Vista yet."

In a sense, the issue isn't the relatively small number of PC buyers demanding XP, but it's whether Vista is having any effect on the PC market as a whole.

In announcing PC sales data, Gartner said this week that Vista's launch "had very limited impact on overall worldwide shipment demand on a quarterly basis."

Bhavnani blamed some of the lackluster results on a lack of marketing, noting he sees more ads for Apple than for Vista.

"It's been a very soft launch," Bhavnani said. "I think you will see Vista create additional demand for PCs in the back half of this year."

Microsoft product manager Michael Burk said in a statement: "Dell is responding appropriately to a small minority of customers that had this specific request. But, as they have said before, the vast majority of consumers want the latest and greatest technology, and that includes Windows Vista."

The software maker has said it will stop selling Windows XP to large PC makers by January. Smaller computer sellers, known as system builders, will be able to sell XP machines for an additional year.

In a statement last week, Microsoft said such a move is normal after a new operating system comes out.

"Windows Vista is safer, easier to use, better connected and more entertaining than any operating system we've ever released, and we're encouraged by the positive customer response we've seen to date," the company said. "It's standard practice to allow OEMs, retailers and system builders to continue offering the previous version of Windows for a certain period of time after a new version is released."

Richard Shim, consumer PC, launch, small business, Microsoft Windows Vista

"inability of Vista to resonate with consumers"
The WOW starts NOW, err perhaps later.
Posted by KonradK (65 comments )
I would call this the 'inability of Vista to REASON with consumers.'

It HAS NO reason to begin with.
Posted by `WarpKat (275 comments )
Inability of (some) consumers of learning about Vista
Just because some people are dumb enough to want XP instead if Vista, that doesn't mean the WOW hasn't started already for the (many) people who actually know something about Vista and (because of that) have it and use it already.
Posted by Fil0403 (1303 comments )
Inability of (some) consumers of learning about Vista
Posted by Fil0403 (1303 comments )
Dell listens MS didnt
"We heard you loud and clear on bringing the Windows XP option back to our Dell consumer PC offerings," thats the best thing out of TX ive heard in years.
Now if they would only bring their customer service back into the US.
I might buy one again.
Posted by Middletown (21 comments )
Customer Service
I called Dell's tech support about a month ago. If the guy I was talking to wasn't from the states, he had darn good english, and a very good southern accent.
Posted by stupid_browner (24 comments )
Dell forced to listen, MS not.
Dell has to listen and execute to bring their business back up. MS is still a monopoly and smug (like how Dell got to be a few years back) and will not change until they realize that their business model is unsustainable (will happen soon). I think the public sentiment against MS has gone over the breaking point but MS don't or won't acknowledge it yet. MS is a dinasour on it's way to extinction.
Posted by oxtail01 (308 comments )
MS will soon listen as well
Here I am replying while downloading Kubuntu 7.04 final. Microsoft has to listen, or is it yet again misjudging it's user base. I will not buy Vista because of the DRM. I have 18 month to figure out which Linux Distro to continue my business in. Dell I'll buy your laptop when you load Linux, and than only if it is not from Novell. Microsoft I am not looking for a 'big brother', stick to writing OS's free of DRM and I might come back.
Posted by Albertv (92 comments )
A reluctant "thanks dell"
Dell listened to the the consumer only because their bottom line was hurting. MS has bigger pockets and it will likely take a while for them to get the message ... they have lots of ca$h stuffed in their ears, so it may take a while.

It is nice to hear native speakers taking the support calls at Dell again. I would have gladly paid more $$$ up front to not have to deal with the guys in India.

With the decline in the US dollar, it will become more and more costly to do business overseas, especially in India, their economy - relatively speaking - is picking up. As with any other commodity, as the demand for skills grows in a limited labor market wages will begin to creep up. Coupled with the US dollar's decline relative to other currencies, it will not be long before other companies will begin to bring tech support, call centers and software development back to the US. In the next 5 years we may even begin to see US manufacturing begin to pick up again.
Posted by DecliningUSDollar (56 comments )
Suggestion
Put Aero and some nice graphics onto Windows XP and call it Vista SP1 and everyone will be happy. I agree that Vista sucks and is bloated and I miss XP. I am willing to pay for a downgrade if I could do it.
Posted by TomboSlicko (23 comments )
Re: Suggestion
"Put Aero and some nice graphics onto Windows XP and call it Vista
SP1 and everyone will be happy."

Uh, isn't that all they did? Besides the "me-too" user authentication
services that don't protect anything and annoys people?

Vista hurls.
Posted by Hep Cat (440 comments )
What is stopping you?
If you want to downgrade to XP just go out and buy it. Its an easy install and the prices have dropped now that Vista is out.
Posted by TucsonAlexAZ (53 comments )
I think that's a first
I can't remember an MS OS launch where there was so much pressure that big companies actually went back to the older OS. I myself recently purchased a laptop and didn't want Vista so I went with an MacBook. I'm not sure which way I would have gone had I had the choice of XP but now that I've used this Macbook I don't see switching back ever...
Posted by Arrgster (92 comments )
I think that's a first
Good for you Arrgster! Microsoft has lost another well healed customer. I personally know of many like you. The less well off go to Linux and that's the market I am beginning to serve.
Posted by Albertv (92 comments )
Switching to Mac as well
I have two laptops - RAM is the same, both are Pentium II. The CPU speed differs somewhat. The laptop with the faster CPU is running XP. The laptop with the slower CPU is running 2000. I run the same software on each. Interesting thing is that I frequently find myself using the "old" laptop with 2000 as it's noticeably faster when running the same software/same number of windows opened/performing the same task. I regularly get blue screens with XP. My "old" laptop needs to be replaced. I'd been an IBM thinkpad user for years and just ordered a Mac, I can't see paying more for an ever worse operating system.
Posted by caligirl862005 (1 comment )
Recent Mac OS X convert here as well
In the last couple of months we've gone from 1 WinXP laptop, and 2 WinXP desktops to 1 MacBook Pro, 1 Mac Mini, and the WinXP laptop.

Due to unrelated hardware failures I had to replace both desktops over a span of about 3 weeks. The original plan had actually been to get Dell laptops to replace them both, but I really don't like many of the anti-consumer decisions microsoft has made with Vista, so I'm voting with my pocket book and have bought Macs.

I'm pretty happy with them to so far, so if you're listening Microsoft you just lost a tech professional who's been running a succession of mircosoft OSs since the days of MS-DOS.
Posted by wzrobin (29 comments )
Actually, it's not (sort of).
When Microsoft tried a similar trick with Windows 2000 on the server end, they were met with hot resistance as well, and wound up extending Windows NT 4.0 support for years beyond its initial planned EOL.

Microsoft tried the pressure tactic of saying that all MCSE's who held Windows NT 4.0 certs would suddenly find themselves cert-less at the end of 2001 unless they upped to an MCSE in Windows 2000. They figured that if they could force the MCSE's to upgrade, the servers would follow.

After the entire MCSE community basically told MSFT where they could stick the forced retirement policy, MSFT backed off.

NT 4.0 was still so prevalent when Win2k3 came out, that I distinctly remember --first-hand-- the Win2k3 launch event presentation droids spending a highly inordinate amount of time touting the huge pile of NT4 -> Win2k3/AD migration tools included with [i]Windows 2003 Server[/i]. They even went to great pains to point out how reversible those migrations were!

I suspect that MSFT is about to find out very soon, and painfully, that Vista ain't exactly all that and a bag of chips. I suspect that MSFT is also likely quite unprepared to present any alternate solutions to Vista's bloat, bugginess, and the overall crap that's been plaguing it.

Sucks to be them... I've been happily using OSX and Linux at home for years, so I'm content to sit back and watch 'em scramble :)

/P
Posted by Penguinisto (5042 comments )
Vista Transformation Pack
Here you go!

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Vista-Transformation-Pack.shtml" target="_newWindow">http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Vista-Transformation-Pack.shtml</a>

Doesn't have aero, but looks just great on XP.

<a class="jive-link-external" href="http://torrefranca.org/dev/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/xp.jpg" target="_newWindow">http://torrefranca.org/dev/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/xp.jpg</a>
Posted by saadshaheed (4 comments )
Vista nah. Linux Areo
Try any Linux distribution and areo to your hearts content
Posted by Albertv (92 comments )
Here's what you missed
Vista isn't jack without Aero. I mean seriously. Yes some of the organization things are nice, but really...what catches the consumer's eye? Aero Glass, period. Without it, there's just no point.

I had an Acer laptop which was eligible for the free Premium upgrade but that upgrade vendor was so difficult to work with I just kept the rebate and sold the laptop. One day when I can find a Premium-compatible laptop for $400-$500, I'll pick one up. For now my old Compaq clunker will make do.
Posted by ReVeLaTeD (755 comments )
Ouch
Dell - putting the WOW back into XP, apparently.
Posted by Hep Cat (440 comments )
About time
It's about time that the OEM listened to their customers. Microsoft keeps selling and supporting XP, so why should Dell decide for the customers what they can and cannot run? They should have offered XP and Vista side by side and let the customers choose.

From the story, it seems that people also wanted Linux, but that means having to support it, and I don't know if Dell's Customer Support (now back in the US after their horrible PR flop with WiPro of India)is ready to deal with the level of support required for Linux and new users. There's a very high learning curve to deal with there.
Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
About time

Posted by Vegaman_Dan (6683 comments )
Windows Vista is...
Per Microsoft:
"Windows Vista is safer, easier to use, better connected and more entertaining than any operating system we've ever released"
Per Reality:
Windows Vista is more annoying, kludgy, slower, more cumbersome, more difficult to work, and harder to get drivers for, than any operating system they've ever released.

Time for Service Pack 1 to roll back some of the cumbersome and keep some of XP's advantages.
Posted by Renegade Knight (13748 comments )
FUD
Vista shipped with more drivers than XP did. The same crap was said about XP...no drivers....slower...why upgrade.

On a box with 1gig of RAM Vista is not slower....kludgy because you cant figure it out....more difficult to work, get a Mac if you can figure it out.

I am sure Vista will fail just like XP did....NOT. HP and Dell together sold 21 million PC's (not servers) in the first quarter of this year. I bet 15 million of them had Vista on them. Which is probably more than all of the Mac and Linux workstations that will be sold all year.

You can hate MS for lots of reasons, percieved or real. The fact is 2 year from now Vista will dominate the PC world.
Posted by Lindy01 (443 comments )
Well informed consumers.......
what a nightmare for Microsoft. I won't buy Vista because I can't justify junking a reliable older PC, running XP, so I can upgrade to a newer O/S. How many working order PC's will go this way? How does Microsoft propose to deal with the enormous volume of functioning PC's that will have to be scrapped so that consumers can upgrade to Vista? From an enviromental point of view this sort of corporate logic (or lack of) is unsustainable, they just don't know it yet.
Posted by m.o.t.u. (96 comments )
Well MS expects to sell Vista with new PCs
You're right, upgrades are rarely viable because the hardware can't support it. We still got WIN2K on some computers in our labs and classrooms at Northeastern (not too many though). Upgrading usually doesn't make any dam sense - it's very surprising, the number of people who want to do that.

It's surprising, too, that people expected Vista to sell like XBOX 360 or something. XP won't become old for a few months AT LEAST. Also, it will take at least six months for the majority companies to have released a new Vista version. Until then, sales might be pretty slow.
Posted by godam_registration (113 comments )
Good move for Dell
I would be interesting to know how many new Vista systems have been sold only to have the consumer load their own copy of XP. It will also be interesting to track the numbers of people who will now choose XP over Vista. I know I'm keeping my XP Pro as long as possible.
Posted by justmyluk (1 comment )
XP dies in 2008...
Microsoft announced that support for XP will end next year (2008). After the usual "extended support deviations" that MS has historically displayed, XP may well become immortal, especially considering the requests received at Dell for XP instead of Vista.
Posted by gdusseau (30 comments )
just checked out Dells' ideastorm site
The option to bring back XP was found on page 2 has over 10,000 votes.

I found it pretty interesting how the #1 request for a dell systems is for a preinstalled linux distro. (Sucker has about 122,000 votes!!!) Wow.

Strange though. I must be missing something obvious, but I thought Dell did offer workstations and notebooks with linux preinstalled on it. Unless this was someone else...
Posted by mbjr (64 comments )
not yet
Dell does not sell workstations and notebooks with linux preinstalled on them, but they do sell workstations with nothing installed
Posted by tagno25 (20 comments )
Dell is in it to make money....!
Dell is a business and offering Linux/OpenOffice makes no sense for dell. Dell profits off Vista and XP sales. For example, I recently priced a XPS laptop that had home premium. It cost an additional $200 to upgrade to Vista Ultimate but I could buy Vista Ultimate OEM on New Egg for $190!

Considering I wanted to upgrade from home premium to ultimate shouldn't the fee only be $60 more at most? Home premium OEM on newegg is $120. But Dell is charging $200 in addition to get Ultimate. I would be better off getting Home Premium then buying Ultimate off newegg and upgrade it myself (at least I would have an extra valid OEM home license, no crapware on the newly installed OS, and an actual CD of Vista).

As for the free OpenOffice, if Dell offered that then they would be cannibalizing their sales of Microsoft Office (which makes them money).

No computer maker exists for the good of consumers, they exists to make money off the consumers (yes even Apple!).
Posted by hybris06 (66 comments )
mdjr - a funny anecdote...
In December 2003 after receiving Dell's monthly sales catalog for a couple years, I finally decided what I wanted for a system for our small business (+/- 150 employees) - the Red Hat distro pre-installed on the machine with the 3-year support contract including warranty - in in other words, the precise package they were offering on page 6 of the December catalog.

Phoned small business sales with my corporate Visa card at the ready to make what was for us a serious investment. CS lady says (in so many words): "Oh, I'm sorry but we can't fulfill that order." Me: "What's the problem? Out of stock? That's ok - we're not in urgent need but we just wish to get the order process going. Here let me give you our corporate card number, so you can enter the order now and deliver when you've replenished your stock. When do expect your stock to be replenished?" Dell CS lady: "It won't be replenished, sir. We're so sorry. Maybe you wish to consider Windows..." Me: "Oh, so in the eleven days between this catalog's date and today, you've not only depleted your stock, but you've also chosen to stop offering Linux pre-installed." Dell CS lady: "Not precisely, sir. (silence)" Me: "Well, you've been so kind, you know what? I'll make an easy order today. I'll take the Red Hat O/S alone in that nice looking red and black retail pack of there's that you're offering on page 15." Dell CS lady: "I'm sorry, sir, we can't fill that order either." Me: "OK. Which operating systems are you selling today?" Dell CS Lady: "Windows." Me: "Huh! Well, you've got the SUSE and the Red Hat on this page. I guess Mr Dell and his team of experts have made an expert decision that SUSE and Red Hat don't make the top quality products that Dell expects of its vendors? (silence)" Dell CS lady: "I'm sorry, Sir. Let me put you on with my supervisor. Hold just a moment, please."

A minute was more than five and counting. We chose HP and I'm glad we did. Now, our business doesn't even have to deal with all these Windows Vista issues. Unfortunately, I do at home because of these three networked XP Professionals.
Posted by i_made_this (302 comments )
They did
still did. You could get Red Hat Enterprise for a long time now.

Do you really think that ideastorm is visited AT ALL by the type of person that makes up 95% of Dell PC sales....no way. 122,000 votes from MS haters and Linux lovers....geeks....computer people.

I take care of small busineses for a living....several of them. I order all of their hardware. A typical user at those companies says this...."hey my PC is slow...order me a new one" and yes their 3 year old Dell with XP and 256megs of RAM is getting slow. They dont ask me..."Order me a new PC and get it with Linux". They dont even know what Linux is.
Posted by Lindy01 (443 comments )
Windows XP on Dell Computers
I have not upgraded to Vista because i do not want
to spend the extra money. If Vista was $40 for an upgrade to home premium i would upgrade.If I was buying a new Dell computer w/ Windows Vista installed i would not get XP.
Posted by alex65006900 (3 comments )
Here was I
... thinking I was the only one in the world who wanted Vista about as much as I wanted a terminal case of gonorrhea. Of course this will only prolong the time it takes for Windows to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ... are they not hellbent on convincing the world they can make the worst products &#38; decisions any business ever made?
Posted by spingle (14 comments )
We made the switch...BACK!
Well, our 5 month expirement with Vista at our offices ended today. All 415 computers are back running windows XP. 5 months peaking into the future just wasn't for us. Way to many headaches and over 1500 hours of money wasted on tech support in 5 months!!!!, when we only had 190 the previous 5 months!! As bad as it was not a single tech support guy ever mentioned that we should have switched to a MAC!!! so take that macaholics!!!
Posted by MRMOAV (29 comments )
Good for consumers
As long as they sell systems with only 512MB they should keep selling XP. Vista's minimum requirements are a joke, it may run but its unuseable.
Posted by TucsonAlexAZ (53 comments )
Not all is at it appears
I think this move has more to do with the fact that Vista does not run very well on Dell's lower-end systems than it does consumer demand. Hardware manufacturers are still trying to get their drivers working under Vista, and this is creating a flood of support calls for Dell.

Smart move, yes, but I really don't think consumer requests had that much to do with it.
Posted by oritpro (1 comment )
...hear that whistling noise?
It's the sound of Vista falling as if flops back to Earth.

So, err, what's Microsoft going to do when they try to enforce an EOL on the critter and realize that even the OEM's don't want to play along anymore?

Heh.

/P
Posted by Penguinisto (5042 comments )
offering XP on new systems
Great move by Dell to offer XP for home and small business computers. My brand new Vista laptop purchased in Feb was a disaster. It could not connect to my work network 9th largest hospital system in the country. The IT despt told me no plans to allow Vista computers any time soon. I had to painfully reformat and get XP on the new laptop to make it useful. PK
Posted by peterjameskelly (1 comment )
Didn't someone say something about MS users?
No comment--gd :-)
Posted by gdusseau (30 comments )
Didn't someone say something about MS users?
No comment--gd :-)
Posted by gdusseau (30 comments )
D'oh! That blows
Wow I had no idea those restrictions were so tight...
Posted by godam_registration (113 comments )
Score!!!
I'm the "IT guy" at my company, I made the decree that Vista would not be allowed on the network until SP1 was out the door and maybe not until SP2 - because MS is smart that way and will likely push out a token SP1 just to get IT suckers on board. I have been purchasing refurbished PCs to keep the Vista wolf at bay. In all honesty, we do not need and cannot afford the hardware required to SIMPLY run Vista. For most things that we do here, we could still get by with Win 2k Pro and Office 2000. Most of the latest and greatest is geared toward multi media ... how is the multimedia experience going to help with Excel and MAS90?
Posted by DecliningUSDollar (56 comments )
Thumbup
HOOAH!
Posted by gdusseau (30 comments )
Since you are the decider,
I suggest you experiment with the following setup:
&lt;nl&gt;
<li>Install a GNU/Linux distribution
<li>Install VMWare on that
<li>Install Windows XP as a virtual machine
<li>Run applications as usual on Windows XP
&lt;/nl&gt;
You have significant advantages if this works, especially if you disable networking on Windows and leave if as a GNU/Linux task. Or use GNU/Linux as a message-passing filter to avoid malware.
In this way, your company will never have to deal with Windows Vista, because it will never take off.
Posted by mariomiy (56 comments )
Reading from the same script?
Are these guys reading from the same script?

Dell small-business marketing director Tom West:
"demand is for the latest and greatest technology, which includes Windows Vista."

Microsoft product manager Michael Burk:
"consumers want the latest and greatest technology, and that includes Windows Vista."

It sounds like someone in Redmond has been handing out talking points.
Posted by Froboz23 (1 comment )
Just...
as i buy a comp through dell with vista... it lags up hardcore.
Posted by volterwd (466 comments )
GAmes
Of course, Steam and Gametap don't work well with Vista, so plenty of consumers don't want Vista.

And you need a faster computer to run games on Vista, too. So there's plenty of reasons for home users to pass on it.
Posted by solomonrex (112 comments )
Dell's Decision to provide XP only to builders
Considering all I've heard about Vista, and considering PC manufacturers and MS are in business to turn a profit by keeping customers happy, it's beyond me why Dell will only supply XP to small business and small builders, and not to their main market ... and even more surprising is why MS has developed the same Dell mentality ... perhaps Bill G will come back with some creative solutions ... Jeff
Posted by 1stRepent (2 comments )
Jeff, I'm afraid that...
...Bill Gates stepped down from active management purposefully just in time - and we only heard a partial reason about wishing to attend to the Gates Foundation. Some feel that Bill stepped down because he is a geek, knew precisely how poorly Vista would be received and wished not to be directly involved with the OS in his former capacity as CTO. He does have a geek rep he'd like to uphold, at the same time he obviously can't slam the OS due to his huge ownership of MSFT shares.
Posted by i_made_this (302 comments )
Apple's Leopard will be out in October
It'll be worth it.
Posted by technewsjunkie (1265 comments )
Let's see if it'll be snatched off the shelves
Most likely, it'll be the same story as Vista. Not that many people have the hardware to upgrade, so the rest will wait until they have to buy a new computer. I remember when Panther came out, a lot of Mac users lamented how they didn't have the minimum 128MB of RAM required. And that's natural.

How come people expect Vista to become popular overnight? It's pretty intense on the hardware, of course it takes a while for people to adopt it...
Posted by godam_registration (113 comments )
When is MS going to just admit it.
It is AMAZING to me how IGNORANT, WRONG and STUPID the "analyst's" are in the above article. DUDES, VISTA IS CRAP. IT SUCKS. NOBODY WANTS IT. IT IS SLOWER, CLUNKIER, MORE ANNOYING, AND OFFER THE USER NOTHING OVER XP. IT IS NOT THE "LATEST AND GREATEST" IT IS JUST THE LATEST AND WORST. DEAL WITH IT! LEARN IT, LIVE IT! EVERYONE knows Vista is junk. EVERYONE. People I meet every day have heard it stinks and are staying away. NOBODY wants Vista!
Posted by davidsco27 (3 comments )
Troll
Dude do everyone a favor and take your trolling elsewhere.

Try to make a COHERENT point. And easy on the caps.
Posted by godam_registration (113 comments )
Great Reply!
Hahaha... That's the whole point, they want to stay in business!!!
Posted by Gerry77 (9 comments )
Vista Needs Work!
Kudos to Dell for making that move. I just purchased a dell with Vista Basic and it isn't what I expected. I just purchased an upgrade to Business, but fear it won't be any better. I wish the option was there before. Good move Dell!
Posted by dakotta (2 comments )
Agreed...Vista does need work!
I'm a MS fan. Only because they hold some 80-90% of the market. But still...this attempt to force the "Vista SP" is having its impact. They just might force the move to Mac and OpenSource. If I have to learn a whole new way of computing, why not learn Mac.

Dell's decision is evident of MS's bullyin'. I too applaud Dell stance. I don't believe they gave the software/hardware makers enough time to work with the RC to build drivers that are compatible. Especially business, have not had enough time to play with it. Businesses are having all kinds of issues with front-end legacy apps (Nortel Client) not working! A co-worker of mine hem-haw'd around that weekend before the release and on Monday was only able to get Vista. We had to load XP in order for him to remote into work. We are one of the largest telecommunication company in the world (VZ) and we are not supporting personal laptop users. Let alone migrating anytime soon to the "Vista SP".
Posted by kaptandrews (4 comments )
The only Vista choice is Business Premium
If your requirements include the ability to fax, scan or use wireless
networking, and you want the Media Center, you need the Business
Premium for $400.

To me, there is only one choice for the home, the $400 option.
Posted by Uncle Spongehead (66 comments )