December 16, 2005 6:39 AM PST

Dell recalls 35,000 notebook batteries

Dell on Friday announced a recall of about 22,000 notebook computer batteries sold in the United States and an additional 13,000 abroad.

The 35,000 recalled batteries were sold with several models of Latitude and Inspiron machines and Precision mobile workstations between Oct. 5, 2004, and Oct. 13, 2005.

Manufactured in Japan or China, they were also sold on their own as replacement batteries--at a cost of between $99 and $179--during that time.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Dell warned consumers to stop using the products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

The Round Rock, Texas-based company has learned of three incidents of the recalled batteries overheating, resulting in damage to a tabletop and a desktop, and in "minor damage to personal effects," but no reported injuries.

Dell customers should contact the company and have the battery's identification number available in order to determine whether it is subject to recall. If the battery qualifies, Dell said it would supply a free replacement.

More information is available at a Dell Web page.

The latest warnings appear to be far from the scale of a massive recall of Dell notebook power adapters last year, which sought to reel in about 4.4 million adapters sold worldwide.

Why doesn't Dell...
...just recall all their laptops (period). 95% of them run way too hot. Forget the battery. The entire system needs better cooling.
Posted by BlinkMM182 (63 comments )
Dell 600M .. getting hot
Yeah. I agreed with Joe. My Dell Laptop 600M I bought a month back is getting too hot and my hard disk drive got crashed yesterday. Now, I lost all my data in that HDD. Even, some of my friends who bought Dell Laptop 600M got the same problem or over heating and HDD noise.
Posted by periyar (1 comment )
battery exchange/
I HAVE A INSPIRON /600M I HAVE HEARD OF A LOT OF YOU BATTRIES HAVE BEEN INGNITED, DOES MINE NEED TO BE EXCHANGED. MY BATTEERY IS A C-1295, 3R305- 6Y270/ THANKS TROY.
Posted by TROY MOORE (1 comment )
Please refer to this information,it might help:
Posted by LawrenceLuo (5 comments )
Just try to convince
Hah, these companies, and cell phone makers tell you , that you have to use "brand name" batteries so that this won't happen. Guess they were buying the battery materials from the same cheap place as the non-OEM's, just rebranding them and jacking up the price.
Posted by sanenazok (3449 comments )
The website doesn't work
The website listed for the battery recall problem doesn't work. If you try to actually input your battery serial no to get a replacement one the site always errors out. It's amazing that Dell cannot even make one website work for small recall.
Posted by aabcdefghij987654321 (1721 comments )
Website
Website worked for me.
Posted by dirus01 (1 comment )
XBOX USE "DELL" BATTERIES?
Riddle: What do XBOX's and Dell have in common?

Answer: They both overheat and stop working!
Posted by lrd123 (50 comments )
surprised
I am atonished dell would do anything but rip a person off. I have dell now - NEVER AGAIN.
You have a problem, go to the moon for help. Probably easier and more likely to receive it than from dell
Dude you are getting a DELL!!!
You better get an Alienware next time...
Posted by Hitokiri Batusai (15 comments )
I got the right info about toshiba portege 4000 battery on http://www.adapterlist.com/toshiba/portege-4000.htm toshiba portege 4000 battery ,i sure it will fit my notebook .
Posted by may269may (16 comments )
My dell 6000 battery is dying, I am considering order a dell battery from http://www.laptopbatteryshop.co.uk/laptop-batteries/dell.htm ,any suggestions?
Posted by sedicn (1 comment )
This should be a better choice
It is said the be 1 year warranty and Fast shipping all over the world.
Hope it helps
Posted by LawrenceLuo (5 comments )
Yes, now the battery has more high quality, such as replacement Dell laptop battery: http://www.mambate.us/Dell-Laptop-Battery-s/92.htm
Posted by yummylb (2 comments )