September 17, 2007 6:25 AM PDT

Man in China dies after three-day Internet session

Man in China dies after three-day Internet session
Related Stories

How good are the censors in China?

May 29, 2007

Dealing with China the wrong way

February 15, 2006

Congress looks askance at firms that bow to China

January 12, 2006

Google inaccessible in China

September 2, 2002
Related Blogs

China opens game-addiction clinic

July 1, 2005

"Police have ruled out the possibility of suicide," newspaper says, adding that exhaustion from playing games is most likely cause.

The story "Man in China dies after three-day Internet session" published September 17, 2007 at 6:25 AM is no longer available on CNET News.

Content from Reuters expires after 30 days.

This story smells fishy
This story smells a wee bit fishy to me. Why? Because no one plays a game until they die. Worst case scenario, you fall asleep at the computer and wake up the next morning with a headache and neckache, speaking from doing that myself.

Hell, even I, a extreme gamer when I find a game I like, who can play a game for 24 hours straight, knows when I am getting too exhausted and I take a break to sleep and eat.
Posted by Leria (585 comments )
Step outside the fish store then
There are lots of ways a person can play a computer game until they die. Most of them involve neglect on the part of the player. Failure to take your insulin on time, missing high blood pressure meds, failure to eat, failure to stay hydrated, and yes, even exhaustion can cause death. Someone with an infection can ignore it to the point of systemic septicemia.

However, I don't get too excited about someone playing that excessively, because in my opinion, they got what they deserved.
Posted by Dr_Zinj (727 comments )
yeah
I think this is a little fishy also.
Posted by djonsun (1 comment )
Darwin Award Winner Here
I'm sorry but I think that barring any details of this person's death, they ought to be considered for a Darwin award. These people have to get a life! How sad is it when people find themselved so addicted to a video game that it actually kills them? What a waste of human life. I just turned 30 myself and I was big into video games when I was a kid. But this is a bad sign for the future of humanity if someone is that obsessed with video games that they forgo eating, sleeping, etc to the point where it kills them. And I thought my wife was addicted to TV, well, at least she knows when to quit before her life is in danger, sheesh! Sad, Sad, Sad
Posted by ebeamsales (36 comments )
I challenge the term
Video Game addiction. I am sure some people with obsessive compulsive disorder are "addicted" but otherwise the term is a crock.
Posted by PzkwVIb (462 comments )
What an Idiot
EOM
Posted by PzkwVIb (462 comments )
Funeral on Secondlife
His funeral will be held in Second life this Friday at 18:00 GMT. In his will, he has bequeathed all his Everworldly possessions, including his sword of godly might and potions of invisibility, to his girlfriend Dolphin1978.
Posted by zigra74 (7 comments )
As deadly as it really get, such a death is a miracle. I say this because, I believe the story and it can be a possibility that it occurred. Where did you guys get link to article? Please tell me this is not a rumour!
Posted by yusufeflip1 (1 comment )